Trying Steelheadibg this weekend

mike rousseau

Well I'm finally giving steelhead another go....

I've been 3-4 times ever and only landed one... And oddly enough that one was caught casting small cranks of all things...

This time I have a friend from work taking me and showing me the ropes... 90% of his fishing is for steelhead... So I feel that I'll be in good hands...

He's explained shooting patterns for different water condition... He's supplied me with chinook and brown eggs...

But with anything "new" I could use some more confidence....

So I'm looking for any general tips you'd have for a rookie...

I'll be fishing eastern tribs... So if anyone has any current advice based on conditions that would be appreciated as well... Roe bag size... Color... Jigs... Flies... Etc...By PM of course...

We are fishing Saturday.... Maybe I'll see some of you on the rivers as well...

BUT PLEASE... IF YOU HAVE ANY SPECIFIC ADVICE OR INFORMATION... GO TO A PM PLEASE... Not a "steelheader" but I understand the pressure put on this fishery....

Thanks

Mike

Get there before first light, it should be good for a few hours untill the masses move in and the sun hits the creek, after that call it a day and go home, the fish will be spooked from all the floats being ripped across the pools and the sun. On a positive note you should be home by around 9 or so.

Rich.

Edited by Richard S.

Nothing but rain in the forecast for around here.

Nothing but rain in the forecast for around here.

Drove through a virtual blizzard on the way home from Georgian Bay today, very unexpected.

Mike considering where you live you should be fishing the Salmon river in NY. It's 10,000X better than fishing the ditches and it's closer to you.

Drove through a virtual blizzard on the way home from Georgian Bay today, very unexpected.

Mike considering where you live you should be fishing the Salmon river in NY. It's 10,000X better than fishing the ditches and it's closer to you.

I know Mike...

But for some reason nobody else will buy a NY license... I have mine...

And I'm no steelheader nor do I plan on doing it much... Realistically 1-2 spring trips and 1-2 fall trips at most a year.... So Ill be a greenhorn for a long time learning by myself...

If I can convince one if my trout buddies to go I would go without hesitation...

I know Mike...

And I'm no steelheader nor do I plan on doing it much... Realistically 1-2 spring trips and 1-2 fall trips at most a year.... So Ill be a greenhorn for a long time learning by myself...

If I can convince one if my trout buddies to go I would go without hesitation...

I know Mike...

If it's only one day you can buy a non resident license for 15 bucks and print it off at home. Pretty cheap if you ask me.

Bigger issue for a lot of people is needing a passport to cross now.

I

Bigger issue for a lot of people is needing a passport to cross now.

That's what I think too, Mike. I could lend folks my passport but then you'd have to look like a bearded dwarf with no means .... pretty sad I'd say.