Late September Camping Trip

Tim Mills

My son and I went on a 3 day Camping and Fishing Trip in the Loring area. It was cold and rainy and the fishing could have been better but it was an enjoyable trip.

Reilly portaging in.

IMG_0505_zpsb1b49c6e.jpg

We spent alot of time under the tarp.

IMG_0445_zps979fb106.jpg

Island Campsite

IMG_0446_zps442c78e5.jpg

We caught a wide variety of small fish but good sized fish were few and far between. We each lost a decent SMB.

IMG_0460_zpsb4ef24cb.jpg

Our boat and motor worked well.

IMG_0473_zps843b6f80.jpg

Until I ran over my son's 50lb braid.

IMG_0477_zps7a62c08a.jpg

Fortunately my son caught a decent pike on the way out.

IMG_0479_zpsea000077.jpg

When you tell your son that the fishing is excellent and the portaging will be worth it you feel a bit of pressure. Luckily one good fish can make a trip.

pike_zpsc6642095.jpg

We weren't the only ones using the portage trail.

IMG_0497_zps500b0289.jpg

IMG_0498_zpsd584aaef.jpg

Our last portage on the way out

IMG_0518_zpsf34e214b.jpg

What kind of seats are those you have in you canoe? I've got a scanoe and need to start looking at some options for next season sitting with the knees bunched up gets old real fast for a a lot of people lol

Thanks for the comments. I bought the seats and swivel bases at SAIL, the seats were $38 each. The rear seat and motor are a tight squeeze in a Scanoe but it was a good deal and it does the job.

I also use the seats in a Coleman Crawdad which is more stable but has less cargo capacity.

Fall2013128_zpse3b7989d.jpg

that portage brings back memories.

my father took me through those chains of lakes (including starting from that exact location you end your photo's with) when I was all of 8 years old. As I grew and the years went by, we would go deeper and deeper into those lakes, adding a lake or two a year. During those days, the mid to late 80's, the pike fishing was fantastic. Fish up to 8lbs were quite common in those small back lakes. The bass fishing wasn't too shabby either. We went back again when I was 15 and the fishing was much tougher. The portages were cut much cleaner, and a hunting lodge was on one of the main portage lakes.

thanks for showing those photo's. I camped on that exact same island.

great to see fathers still taking their sons back there....25 years after my dad and I did it...

I've been taking my boy to grandpa's island on memesagmessing in the loring area since he was 5. He is 13 now and still loves it like he did then. We would camp on the island with my brothers and spend all day fishing. The greatest times of my life. The reason I love visiting your wonderful country. Thanks for the memories!