Winter is on the way, what is your alternative for power---Generator or 12 volt inverter?

npt1

No worries, kids adapt just like adults. Of course it required some work on the parents end. But big deal its highly rewarding for all if they know their stuff. That being said, life in the city without power must really suck

we're not in the city either. i think someways it would be easier in one

of course we can adapt and survive.. did fine last year without power and we'd be fine again this year with just our wood stove and no generator but if i have the means and the option of running my own hydro to make it that much easier, why not?

we're not in the city either. i think someways it would be easier in one

of course we can adapt and survive.. did fine last year without power and we'd be fine again this year with just our wood stove and no generator but if i have the means and the option of running my own hydro to make it that much easier, why not?

agreed

We have propane furnace, propane hot water on demand (tankless water heater) propane range and a 10,000 watt generator. So we are normally quite comfortable when the power is out.

Regards,

Sam

Edited by DT10Sam

Warm clothes and sleeping bags. I do have a natural gas fireplace. Even though the fire is turned on and off via and electrical switch; it does seem to work during a power outage. I am not sure how that works.

Mililvolt system. Your pilot light generates enough electricity to run the gas valve on your appliance.

I'd throw off the grid main breaker and switch on my back up main and run the essentials on my 6500 watt backup generator. Back up power runs the oil burner for the boiler and the circulating pumps as well as the well pump; one fridge, and select lighting and outlets in the house. Our stove is gas , so I've got all the essentials covered.

I've got a 10,000 watt permanent stand-by generator that fires up automatically when the power goes out, and shuts itself off when the power is restored. Runs all the essentials including furnace, sump pump, well pump, fridge & freezer, most of the lights and even a couple TV's and the puter. It has an installed trickle charger to keep the battery good and a warming blanket to keep it warm so it's always ready and I've got a 1500 litre propane tank to keep it fed.

When the power goes out I don't really even notice it except for the few seconds delay till the generator fires up and the way that wind is howling right now, today could be the day.

My stove & water heater are propane, plus I have a propane fireplace in the living room and downstairs in the family room, there's an airtight wood stove that will warm the whole house and there's 3 cords of dried & split harwood all set to go.

I spose we could all survive like our ancestors did on the praries 150 years ago, but when modern technology is readily available, I'll take warm and comfy any day :lol:

Edited by lew

Thank goodness for Natural gas. We did have a spring storm that killed power a few years back for 5 days and nights. Other than some cabin fever and Zebra Mussels covering the lake facing windows we were good to go. Snow plows had to come out and clear the Lakeshore roads of deadfall. Kind of like this morning! Looking at 3 to 4 meter waves right now hitting the breakwall.

Thanks, does this utilize the thermocoupler that controls the safety for the pilot light?

John. You'll will have two modules in direct contact with the pilot light. One is the thermocouple and the other is a thermopile millivolt generator. Or you may have only one module that serves both funtions. Bottom line is that the millivolt generator produces enough power to operate the gas valve, thus no need for ac power to operate your appliance.