Pellet Gun

fisherkid4

Hello Everyone,

My one buddy has a pellet gun rifle.

It is a crossman Phantom gun.

It shoots .22 Cal pellets and shoots 495 fps.

My question is would you need to have a hunting lisence to hunt small game with this pellet gun or how does that work with a pellet gun?

Thanks,

Tight Lines!

To the best of my knowledge, you need a hunting licence to hunt.

It makes no difference weather you are using a gun, bow or pellet gun. You still need a valid hunting licence.

Edited by N.A.W

You wouldn't need a PAL / POL to own the rifle , since it's under 500FPS , but it isn't legal to hunt with an air rifle , if it were you would need a hunting lisence , smallest legal caliber in Ontatio is a .22 rimfire .... I believe some provinces still allow .177 rimfire .

Hope this helped

Edited by Randy from Sturgeon

According to the regs, you are allowed to hunt in Ontario with a pellet gun.

Page 23.

"Air and pellet pistols
with a muzzle velocity less than 152 metres (500 feet) per second
may be used for hunting in Ontario (see restrictions on page 24)"

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/groups/lr/@mnr/@fw/documents/document/239841.pdf

I hunt grouse with a pellet gun. And so do several of my hunting buddies. Great for grouse during the bow moose season, when you don't want to be banging away in the bush.

Edited by N.A.W

** correction , it is legal to hunt with an air rifle on Ontario ( it wasn't before ) just called a CO buddy of mine , if it's over 500FPS you'll need a PAL and your small game permit , if it's under 500FPS like in your case , just the small game permit .

I can't ever remember a pellet gun not legal to hunt small game with.

I did when I was a kid, and that is getting to be quite a while ago :)

Hows about the guns that you cocked and puffed out air and a popping noise. You soon found out that you can jam the barrel in the mud and shoot people with them.

or

The spring loaded BB gun that would barely break the skin if you shot your brother with it from 5 feet away. I remember many a BB gun fight in the neighborhood with "bugbites" as we told our moms. I am sure we didn't fool them but it was easier to let us be kids than to make us come inside to watch T.V. and settle down before bed.

growing up memories are the best

Art

-PAL and hunting course are unrelated and one is not required to get the other

-To buy and shoot firearms (including pellet guns over 500 fps) you need a PAL

-To hunt you must take the hunter safety course and obtain the proper license for the animal you wish to pursue

-If you want to use a firearm to hunt you'll need to have passed both the firearms and hunting exams, bow or pellet gun hunting requires only the hunting license

-Air rifles of any speed are legal to use for hunting, but an air pistol must be under 500 fps as handgun hunting is illegal in Ontario and as soon as the air pistol breaks that magic 500 fps it's then considered a handgun

Ya need a firearms license to own a speedy pellet gun, yet no firearms license is required to buy a flintlock rifle...

I was under the impression that a pistol can't be used to hunt in Ontario, but if it's classified as a pellet gun I'm not so sure...

Correct, a handgun cannot be used for hunting in Ontario. But, an air pistol that is slower than 500 fps is not defined as a handgun so it is legal to use for hunting. No PAL is required to own an under 500 fps air pistol, but a RPAL (restricted firearms license) is required to buy and own an air pistol that shoots faster than 500 fps and can only be used at approved ranges.

An air rifle under 500 fps does not require a PAL either, but it is required once you break 500 fps.