Breathable Waders

Moosebunk

While it snowed and blowed all around it dawned on me sitting in my float tube this afternoon that I need new waders. When getting into the water, Immediately I felt the little leak in the left foot. Arriving at the other end of the lake it became apparent there was a leak in the left knee too. Short while later, my left cheek and kiwi felt the chill of cold water. Ending back at the truck, I dumped a bucket of cold water out of the left leg and felt the Arctic air drying off my junk before heading home.

Best waders I ever had were Bushland Neoprenes but they're just too warm in the summer. Bought Orvis and Misty River and they might have been the exact same waders except the name and price tag. Both lasted about 3-4 years each. Any solid recommendations for a reasonable price???

Check sierra trading post.com

The have great deals

Redington sonic pros for just over $200 and Patagonias also some simms if you catch the right day they have promo codes for up to or more than another 30% off worth a shot. I've bought from there without issues,

I had bare blackwater II for 4 years and they just started to leak so I aqua sealed them for back ups and bought simms g4s time will tell on those though

Simms & Patagonias are probably at the top of the heap. Simms G3s are likely going to be my next purchase, whenever my current pair gives up the ghost.

That said, aquaseal will prolong the life of your waders, if all that's wrong with them is a few pinholes or a bit of stitching on a seam. I have a 10 year old bootfoot pair of Orvis Silver Labels that would have been in the garbage a long time ago, if it wasn't for aquaseal. As it is, they are my backups - or my gotos if I'm fishing before work. My current pair are Dan Baileys which have a zip front and are tough as nails (have them since 2009) and have at least 2 more years in them (for me...); but they are so-so for breathability.

If you want to try to fix them, Simms has a great set of videos to show you how to go about it. I "recharged" the breathability of my DB's this pas Spring, using these tips - it worked.

http://http://www.simmsfishing.com/support/repairs.html

Then, you can still get a new pair, but keep the old ones "in case." :)

p.-

As nice as Simms waders appear in stores, i can't personally justify the price. I just got myself a pair of LL bean Kennebec waders, they were about 230$ shipped (on sale at the time) and they feel great, and with anything LL bean, they are coverred for life. pretty much every pair of waders is going to leak at some point in their use, so being able to find and fix leaks is a great skill to have.

Hey Bunk, I have a breathable pair of Rapala waders and love them. One of the best waders i have owned, no bull. I have been using them this year and they are great waders. They are only around $180. I am curious to see how long they last before leaking. So far they seem to be built well.

I have never paid more than a couple hundred bucks for waders that don't last longer than a few years. I do too many different types of fishing to blow $500. on just waders. I'm sure the Simms are great, and I know lots of guys that use them and love them. I have tried many different types of waders, and they all do the same thing. Best thing is to get comfortable waders for you that work well and perform for the price point that you wish. I have used cheap breathables for $100. and will not get those again, despite lasting a few years. They were not comfortable lol.

Here is a link to the Rapala waders if you are interested: X-Protect Ecowear