best place to buy tires? (NF)

Lunatic

When I install tires on aluminum rims I take the time to power wire brush the bead area and paint the surface.

This helps prevent corrosion that causes these leaks and also helps to seal the tire to the rim.

I don't get comebacks, even after several years.

It can be done right as the second shop's work showed. What got me was I had to wait for the tires I had ordered to come in so when they got there to the shop it was about 10min to close and they wouldn't let me go out and see the work being done which I always like to do... I was a little suspicious of how fast they got the work done. Lesson learned though I won't darken their door with my cash again.

I dont always buy tires, but when i do.......I prefer Tirerack.com (sorry, this commercial reference is probably more stale than the humpday commercial)

id like to order from there but i havent the slightest clue what duty charges would be on top of other taxes and shipping..

id like to order from there but i havent the slightest clue what duty charges would be on top of other taxes and shipping..

$5 for a PO box just across the border.

Shipping was $35 or $40 to the tire installers in buffalo from tirerack.

I've heard from many people that the border cops don't ask if you bought new tires while in the US....

It calculates it for you. They have everything worked out pre-payment, and you'd be shocked how quickly the tires end up on your doorstep. Or at least that was my experience.

You're an hour or so away from the border. Go to a Tirerack authorized install center in Buffalo and drive back.

Edited by BillM

I'm glad I just drive 1.5 km down the road and ask Dan or John. at the Goodyear dealer that I've been using for 28 years, what's the best deal you can make me installed...then I say wanna try that again... and yah that's better! They then drive me home, so I can get back to work, and a few hours later they deliver my car or truck when they're done! I can't believe I could save enough scratch to make a trip state side or delivery to the door of tires worth the effort unless I lived 3 houses up from the Peace Bridge.

I'm glad I just drive 1.5 km down the road and ask Dan or John. at the Goodyear dealer that I've been using for 28 years, what's the best deal you can make me installed...then I say wanna try that again... and yah that's better! They then drive me home, so I can get back to work, and a few hours later they deliver my car or truck when they're done! I can't believe I could save enough scratch to make a trip state side or delivery to the door of tires worth the effort unless I lived 3 houses up from the Peace Bridge.

I ordered online. Tires delivered to the door a week later. Got them put on next time I was in for an oil change. Not a lot of work, and saved $400.

Just like everything else you need to know your prices before buying but I can tell you, there are a lot of items where you can save significant amounts of money. I order lots of things and have them shipped to a US postal box and without doubt save money. The trip down(30-40mins for me) is paid for when I fill my truck, buy a 30 pack of Molson for $18, and a few groceries like a couple gallons of milk for $2 each. THEN I pick up the stuff I ordered at 30-50% cheaper than in Canada. I bring back $50-$250 regularly and had to go in and pay the taxes only once.

+1 when I was in Vegas a few years back I was on my way to check out a walmart in a seedy area of town.... (I like to see the real US of A when I go south) So I like to go to a Krogers or Walmart. I knew it was the right walmart because the concierge who gave me the GPS co-ordinates at the hotel said if I wasn't back in an hour he was going to notify my next of kin. So on the way I saw a sign that said NEW TIRE and INSTALATION 27.00...

I was going to stop and check it out but I had that deadline and had to be back in an hour LOL The best part was the place looked newish and was doing tire changes. It was between a Lawyer offering to beat a DUI for 199.00 (not Saul) and a pawn shop (not the one) that offered immediate title loans on your car when the lawyer couldn't get you off I guess.

I was intrigued because the best I could do on just installation here just before I left was 20.00 bucks a tire. So a $7.00ish NEW tire would have been something to see.

Canadian Tire always seems to have a 4 tires for the price of 3 deal going. The deal seems to be on-going, but the specific tires that it is offered on change from week to week. If you can afford to wait a bit, then I would just keep checking with Canadian Tire until the have a 4 for 3 deal on one of the tires that will suit your needs.

My own personal experience with Canadian Tire has not been good. I too was attracted to the buy three and get the fourth free. Recently a noise developed in my SUV. It has progressively gotten worse. Yesterday my wife and I made a three hour round trip to London. At 110 K the noise was frightening. Being surrounded by 18 wheelers was of even greater concern. Today I went to my local mechanic. The problem is in the tires. Three of four belts have shifted causing not only a vibration but a "wha wha" sound that couldn't be readily traced as it is both fronts and the right rear.

Apparently there is still 50 -60 % tread left on the tires (less than three years old). Yet, they are basically junk. Around the rim edge, in close proximity to the bead, cracks can be seen on all four tires. Another indication of old rubber drying out .According to my mechanic this model of Cooper Tire was discontinued some five years ago. I purchased them from CTC about two and a half years ago.

Canadian Tire buys up left over stock and clears them with such offers. The problem is this left over stock has been sitting in a warehouse for God knows how long. Over time as the rubber dries out, it is prone to cracks, less control and poorer traction.

I guess the moral of the story is "if it seems like a really good deal, it probably isn't."

Hope this helps.

Edited by kwikfish

I always check the date codes on the tires I'm buying... Every single tire has it clearly marked.

Didn't know "date codes" were present. I need a magnifying glass to read the tire size and pressure recommendations on some models.

Currently in the market for new ones. I'll been taking a closer look.

Thanks for the heads up.

My own personal experience with Canadian Tire has not been good. I too was attracted to the buy three and get the fourth free. Recently a noise developed in my SUV. It has progressively gotten worse. Yesterday my wife and I made a three hour round trip to London. At 110 K the noise was frightening. Being surrounded by 18 wheelers was of even greater concern. Today I went to my local mechanic. The problem is in the tires. Three of four belts have shifted causing not only a vibration but a "wha wha" sound that couldn't be readily traced as it is both fronts and the right rear.

Apparently there is still 50 -60 % tread left on the tires (less than three years old). Yet, they are basically junk. Around the rim edge, in close proximity to the bead, cracks can be seen on all four tires. Another indication of old rubber drying out .According to my mechanic this model of Cooper Tire was discontinued some five years ago. I purchased them from CTC about two and a half years ago.

Canadian Tire buys up left over stock and clears them with such offers. The problem is this left over stock has been sitting in a warehouse for God knows how long. Over time rubber as the dries out it is prone to cracks, less control and poorer traction.

I guess the moral of the story is "if it seems like a really good deal, it probably isn't."

Hope this helps.

Good point about age of a 'new tire'. My tires show 2011 which is the year I bought them from Canadian Tire. My 8.5 year old spare does not have any cracks. Obviously CTC should not be selling 3+ plus year old tires as new. However, I wouldn't expect those issues even if the tire was a few years old; at least not if it is stored indoors. Unless those tires are much more than 5 years old, or stored in extreme conditions, I would think the problem was more to do with a manufacturing defect than the age of the tire.

Didn't know "date codes" were present. I need a magnifying glass to read the tire size and pressure recommendations on some models.

Currently in the market for new ones. I'll been taking a closer look.

Thanks for the heads up.

No worries, good luck on your search!