Shipping Musky Shop

JoshS

Does anyone know if you get hit with brokerage fee's and duties and taxes ordering from muskyshop to canada?

I just got off the phone with musky shop... they can either ship UPS for $21 or USPS for $51. I'm assuming USPS is the better bet to possibly save on duties and taxes but I haven't shipped much from the states.

Anyone know how it works?

Hey Josh

Here's the UPS brokerage chart

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html

TBH, I'm not exactly sure how UPS does it. On most products I've had shipped UPS, UPS took the value of the product (say $100 for example), then took the shipping price ($21 as an example), charged HST tax on it (13% of product + shpping cost: 13% of $121) = $15.73. Then charged me brokerage based on a total of $136.73 (so according to that chart, brokerage alone is $29). That's just for brokerage.

Then you gotta pay HST on top of that along with "duty". I wouldn't be surprised if your total shipping charges to get the product to your door is 45-50% of the original price (that's what it's like for me when I have to ship UPS).

If given the choice between UPS and USPS, I'd choose USPS every time. At least I know what I'm paying when I click the "checkout" button.

Check to see if its Ups Worldwide Saver, if it is, you will NEVER pay brokerage, only the tax which USPS does. Bonus its 1-2 day shipping. Almost all my tackle from the states comes this way.

Yeah, but how much over standard shipping are you paying? They get you one way or another :)

Check out Pro Tackle for awesome selection of musky stuff from lures to high end rods and reels the only thing they are missing in the musky world is Handlebarz but you know a place for them.

http://www.protacklemuskyshop.com/

Stacy has super fast shipping times and prices that are great. Also a muskies Canada discount. Tell him I sent you

X2 on Stacy, new rods coming in from Stacy in 2014 from the sledgehammer bait company, with a now rare and unheard of warranty in todays market, email him from Mike P's thread for the details, and also a new low-profile reel from Okuma as well to be in the store, both these are musky series, but Stacy's location in Belleville the fish rich area of BOQ offers a great selection of tackle and multi-species gear as well.

If you're stuck shipping through UPS and live within a driving distance from the border, try shipping to a place like CBI in Niagara falls, NY. Josh, this might be a reasonable way for you to do it and you can hit the big river nearby afterwards. My dad saved a significant amount of money when he ordered rims for our car and had it shipped to CBI.

http://www.cbiusa.com/

Another option would be to contact the retailer and ask them to ship the item as "repair" and list the package at a lower value. A couple months ago, I purchased around $750USD worth of camera gear. Shipping charge for FedEx was $41 and the company agreed to list the package as "repair" with a $100 value. Ended up paying only $16 in brokerage/customs. It could've been much, much, much worse :D.

A recent order from big bite baits..............Shipped UPS :(

Order Subtotal: $14.99

Shipping: $16.64

Sales Tax: $0.00

Grand Total: $31.63

When the big brown truck pulled up they demanded an extra $24 :wallbash:

FYI, you can also refuse the package due to the fees and negotiate a lower rate. I've done that a bunch of times with UPS when they were asking for something like 50% of the value of the package itself in brokerage!!!

Edited by BillM

Hello,

If you are looking for the most innovative custom musky inlines ever to hit the marketplace, check out http://pdeezmuskyinlines.com and on Facebook by the same name. They have been the hottest inlines on the Ottawa River & surrounding waters for the past three years!

Our online store opened this past July.

NO HST................

FREE SHIPPING on orders $100 or more within Canada only!

We are also currently in four stores in the Ottawa area, Bits and Baits Inc. in Stittsville ON, Bennett's Bait n Tackle Inc. in Smiths Falls ON, Oziles Marina & Tackle at Petrie Island & Pronature in Rockland ON and growing!

Once you throw a pdeez, you will not want use any other inline!

Any questions may be directed at [email protected]

Sincerely,

Paul D

Edited by pdeezmuskyinlines.com

lol...

Anyway good advice on shipping. Appreciated.

kinek . com is another great service for a US mailing address if you're willing to cross the border to pickup your stuff. We've used it multiple times and have saved hundreds as many US stores offer free shipping within the US and prices down there are so much lower than here in Canada.

As for UPS, I refuse to have anything shipped by them. Some online retailers in the US only list UPS as an option to ship, but more often than not they're willing to send the package through USPS as many US retailers are well aware of the gouging by UPS. Avoid UPS like the plague....

Hello,

Our online store opened this past July.

NO HST................

FREE SHIPPING on orders $100 or more within Canada only!

Once you throw a pdeez, you will not want use any other inline!

Any questions may be directed

Sincerely,

Paul D

just might consider this post spam

we have long standing members that make the best muskie lures in Canada........IMHO

Terry, don't all long standing members have to start with post #1...........??????

One of the main reasons this newest upstart in Canada began was to cater to CANADIAN MUSKY ANGLER'S with similar issue's about shipping, duty, exchange rates & taxes of quality fishing products from the USA to Canada, like JoshS posted about. We felt this post was a great opportunity to introduce pdeezmuskyinlines.com to the rest of Ontario.

The other reason we started this brand new Canadian musky lure manufacturing company is because of our obsession with musky fishing and of course one of the greatest musky baits ever designed! As great as flashabou inlines are, there are deficiencies associated with them. We've addressed all the deficiencies and made this amazing bait even better!

Everyone currently using our baits share the same sentiment as this article written on NPS by outdoor contributor to Just Fishing, Gord Pyzer's Blog & Outdoor Canada, Wally Robins:

http://nationalprostaff.com/report/7130/The+Perfect+Blades+for+Muskies

Please check out http://pdeezmuskyinlines.com on google & Facebook. Picture's & testimonials go a long way!

Sincerely,

Paul D