Worlds Best Fillet Knife?

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

I'm hoping to tap the knowledge of OFC and hopefully find a high quality fillet knife for an xmas present.

I use a rapala normark fillet knife, as i'm sure many ofc'ers would. i'm looking for something fancy and highly functional.

Ron Post Knives, South River Ontario

I have 3 hand made knives from him (and looking for a few more). Finally bought a fillet knife last year and as you already posted I have used the old rapala's for years (Have 6 of them)

This was strictly a TO ME - FROM ME gift.

He does have a web site and sells his stuff at several shows through the year. He's always at the Toronto Fishing shows and does some of the hunting/trapping shows up north too. Best if you can see all the handles he can do. I pick my knife blade and then tell him what color/design handle I wanted. The top is a different type of skinning knife he's now making - was made this summer and shipped direct to my door for me. Gonna give it a test drive hopefully next week moose hunting

best to give him a call to find out if he might be doing anything local to you

IMG_0297_zpsab257084.jpg

Edited by Fang

You don't need a new knife

You want/need a good sharpening system and you'll love all your old knifes again.

Who suggested Global cutlery? Hated mine! The steel was poo

I gave up on North American blades and slowly replacing much of the household knifes with Japanese gear. A few links to get you started.

http://japanesechefsknife.com/

http://www.japaneseknifedirect.com/

p.s. I'm Polish, so don't worry no affiliation of any knid

Edited by krixxer

Describe the blade you want long short, flexible,stiff handle material main uses for what size fish. All of these make a difference in choosing a knife. Here is a link to steel and handle material and what it is best for http://www.midwayusa.com/technicalnotes/application_pages/knife_steel_and_handle_material_chart.htm. They have some of the more basic knives on the site also. A final name is SHUN they are some really nice blades and I like the edge the take and hold.

Art

When I was a kid I used to clean fish in the Port Credit marina. I "freelanced" the charter-boats and took advantage of the drunken US guys that came up for the derby. I still have the knife I used back then it's a Bahco.

Edited by krixxer

It isn't Canadian - but it is one of , if not the, best. I am a bit of kitchen knife nut - it has to cut paper thin the first time, every time when I am cooking.

http://www.amazon.com/Henckels-31030-183-Twin-Fillet-Knife/dp/B000T8EZE0

I have 2, 1 is over 15 years old and for the boat, the other is 5 years old and for the kitchen. Combined with a Henkel steel, these things will slice, dice a fillet to paper thin slices - literally. A quick 5 stokes on each side before use and it is as sharp as a razor.

I don't know about world's best but I have not used or seen something better as far as quality of steel, balance and holding the edge. unfortunately they only make a 7" model in professional series AND it does not come with a fancy sheath. (Rapala 7" knife sheath works fine)

This knife has an amazing blade, it will fillet wafer thin slices and hold its edge for years

http://www.williamsfoodequipment.ca/zwilling-j-a-henckels-professional-s-7-filleting-knife-31030-181.html

Henckels makes many different lines but their professional series has the best quality steel and balance IMO.

Problem I find with custom knives is that most use fancy and exotic wood handles but when it comes to blade, they just use regular 440 or similar stainless steel,

Yes Ronnie is right I know a guy down my way he makes killer knives. He is a hunter and fisherman and uses what he makes Ron has one of his knives my wife has two of them. have a look at his site it does not have every thing but you will get the idea

http://www.skipscustomknives.com/knives-for-sale.html

He also has a cool holder for the fishes tail for cleaning them its a neat thing to use I guess ( I don't clean fish)

If you go with him tell him I sent you he will treat you good

It is such a subjective thing. I love using cheap rapala knives because they ARE CHEAP LOL. I can drop em and I don't care. I can hand it over to some hack on the pier who will hack the rocks as he cleans his fish. I keep em sharp and they do the job.

However my dad decided he was going to get me a quality knife as a gift for my birthday a year ago. Well it got lost in shipping so he panicked and picked up a fancy looking Berkley set that had a sharpener and pliers. Long story short it sat in the closet until one day I arrived home with 30 perch to clean and I hadn't been to sleep in over 30 hrs (don't knock insomnia my friends you can get a lot done if you don't sleep). Having a major brainfart I couldn't find my steel or sharpener so I decided to open up the Berkley knife and try it.

WORST piece of crap I have ever held in my hand to "fillet" a fish, and I have worked in kitchens for over 35 yrs using Nella knives so I know crappy knives. I was like stunned at how bad it was at filleting way to flexible and the curve from the tip was just all wrong.... I sharpened it just in case and that made it worse somehow. Anyhow since I was working alone I decided to fillet all the fish just using my trusty but getting duller by the minute rapala and remove all the skins after.

As luck would have it I accidently picked up the Berkley and before I realized what I was doing I used it when I started skinning. All the things that made me hate it for filleting made it just about perfect for skinning perch. WHO KNEW?

If I ever get rich I will sit down with a knive artisan and have them make me 2 knives for cleaning fish. One normal 6.5" or 7" for trout, small mouth and walleye. Then a 4" blade but with the exact same handle as on the bigger knive for perch. I don't get why all the manufacturers insist on matching small blades with tiny handles. Balance be damned I want something I can hang on to but with a smaller blade for smaller fish.

Edited by Canuck2fan

It isn't Canadian - but it is one of , if not the, best. I am a bit of kitchen knife nut - it has to cut paper thin the first time, every time when I am cooking.

http://www.amazon.com/Henckels-31030-183-Twin-Fillet-Knife/dp/B000T8EZE0

I have 2, 1 is over 15 years old and for the boat, the other is 5 years old and for the kitchen. Combined with a Henkel steel, these things will slice, dice a fillet to paper thin slices - literally. A quick 5 stokes on each side before use and it is as sharp as a razor.

you have to be careful when buying Henkle these days ...there are knock offs out there everywhere...Indonesia made even Wal Mart sells them...true Henkles are not cheap...

This is a good thread as im looking for a quality fillet knife too that will stand the test of time..

Edited by Twocoda

I have a Gerber and a Shrade ,razor sharp and solid , the cat's horse , the ones I reach for the most are my trusty Rapala and an old Fiskars Flex ... dunno why? I just like them .. When they get dull , a quick do over with the SpeedySharp and they're like new ..

Good Luck !