Separate section for Trip Reports

frodobuggins

We are trying not to cut the site up into to many subforum we have found this to work best. Hitting new content seems to be the best way to keep on top of the active threads you enjoy reading.

Art

Perhaps you can still keep the trip posts in the main fourm, and have a separate area for trips which certainly better showcase the experience and travels of this boards members. I've only been here for a short time, but I recall in the past some truly epic and awesome reports and it would be nice to have them in one direct, accessible area. I'm not for dividing up the board into this topic and that topic, but like I said, the trips posted by some of the members truly show the diversity of this country (and abroad) and the passion we have for fishing in Ontario.

This speaks for it self in regards to possible marketing opportunities as well....

and when people google a trip, google will find it no matter where it is, so having a trip section will not really help that

I think you are missing the point, no one is talking about googling anything, it's simply better organizing the posts on this board, the trip reports being a key topic to segregate, as I mentioned up above. At least if there were tags asscoated with each post, you could then search whatever you want more efficiently.

Hey I'm new to joining, not trying to change the board, just agree with frodo's idea.

and when people google a trip, google will find it no matter where it is, so having a trip section will not really help that

So, rather than logically being able to surf through a section that keeps all trip reports, its easier to just google trips?

We are trying not to cut the site up into to many subforum we have found this to work best. Hitting new content seems to be the best way to keep on top of the active threads you enjoy reading.

Art

I'm interested in easily finding trip reports that might be 20-40 pages deep, not stuff that might have new content.

I dont think i've ever been on a forum (of any kind) that doesn't have categories and sub-groups which not only organizes and simplifies navigation, but also adds to enjoyment. Why not just delete inactive threads after a day then?

Ive never found it difficult to navigate through the one board set up OFC has in the all years ive been here. Seems like a topic that comes up once or twice a year with lots of debate and nothing comes of it, thankfully.

Do you wake up sweating with the cold fear that one day this forum might have sub-categories? Jesus, don't fear the unknown so much. The future isnt that terrifying.

I've been to other forums... Many actually... Some with like 50 subsections...

You end up with seperate groups within the group... And eliminates exposing others to you posts...pictures.... Stories... Etc... As well as yourself...

Anyone who has been on iceshanty should understand what I'm saying...

I always pop in here everyday and other then classified section or photo section I'm getting everything I'm looking for on the first page...

Do you wake up sweating with the cold fear that one day this forum might have sub-categories? Jesus, don't fear the unknown so much. The future isnt that terrifying.

No, do you wake up in cold sweats thinking you've missed a fish picture? Give me a break.

As for navigating through nf topics, i could care less about 5 pages of leafs banter but its quite easy to just scroll past it! Lol

I have at least a good 100 hundred good threads from various forums bookmarked, that's all i do to find them again

I get what you're saying but some forums get way too nit picky on on that stuff...OFC has a good layout

and if you're looking for one of those older epic threads, just pm moosebunk or solopaddler for the details again, since they're about 90% of the epic threads

I've been to other forums... Many actually... Some with like 50 subsections...

You end up with seperate groups within the group... And eliminates exposing others to you posts...pictures.... Stories... Etc... As well as yourself...

Anyone who has been on iceshanty should understand what I'm saying...

I always pop in here everyday and other then classified section or photo section I'm getting everything I'm looking for on the first page...

i've been on ice shanty, and visit it frequently during the winter months. i love the way its set up. its very easy for someone new to the site to find the information they're looking for without having to post something thats been answered 1000 times, and its easy to get answers/help on a specific question.

this site has lots of barely used sub forums - announcements/contests & fishing news. dont these fall under general discussion? do we have so many contests and fishing news that they need their own subforum?

also the review forum - pretty pointless if negative reviews cant be posted. i guess the negative ones need to be posted in general discussion. like all the guys who were hating on wolseleys lodge the other day. i guess its acceptable if posted in the proper subforum :dunno:

regarding a trip report section, i'd love to see one. great to be able to find them all in one spot and browse through them all. even the old ones. especially the old ones.

how do you know what to search for, if you dont know it exists? i would've never known to search for eddie norths/attawapiskat if i didnt read the reports first. this goes for many other of the locations people have posted reports on.

So, rather than logically being able to surf through a section that keeps all trip reports, its easier to just google trips?

yes, 100%

the only reason to go back and read an old trip post would be to prepare for a trip to that lake

and I would want info from many sites not just this one, so google works best

and if they were not on the main page many people would not go to another section to find them on a daily bases

We have polled the members, discussed it and voted on this in the past it failed 15 years ago and every couple of times it comes up a year we hold the same view. Sorry if it causes you to not read the excellent reports that some of our members post. Think of it this way some of them have spent hours putting the reports together so you having to use the search function is a small price to pay for a clean looking and easy forum to view.

The members have spoken as they have in the past so I am going to put this to bed.

Thanks

Art