a question for woodstove/ fireplace owners, NF Part two

Beans

When we moved up this way I had to change my insurance company as Allstate does not cover homes heated with wood stoves...

Because of my bad back and wood being a lot of work even when buying it cut and seasoned (stacking, splitting for kindling, fetching as needed from outside, etc.) I only use our stove for recreational and emergency purposes and rely on the electric baseboards for heating (expensive)...

I only burn about 1/2 a bush cord a year now and have chimney cleaned every second year...

Did anyone else run into the insurance problem ???...I am now with Intact Insurance...

Edited by Beans

Did anyone else run into the insurance problem ???...I am now with Intact Insurance...

I'm also with Intact Norm and had no issues when I notified them about having the airtight installed, just had to send them a copy of the WETT certificate.

***EDIT***

Sorry Norm, I somehow missed your 1st sentence where you said it was Allstate that wouldn't insure you with the stove.

Guess that's why we should read everything before replying LOL

Edited by lew

I have heard unless you have certificate from the manufacturer, declaring the stove meets certain standards, no insurance company will touch this. He had a "homemade" unit given to him which ended up going to scrap metal. It had served a local old timer well until he died and the family was cleaning out the house. Any commercial unit properly installed should not cause issues though.

All companies are different. They essentially dictate their own rules. If they don't work for you, go to another company. Mine (the personal) never asked for any paperwork on my woodstove (I plan on 8-10 chords/year) even after I prompted them. Belair direct wouldn't touch me because they don't like my municipality. Insurance companies litterally make up their own rules.

Edited by Rod Caster

I forgot to mention that I had to get the stove WETT inspected and the pipe changed to double walled with stainless steel before I could get the house insured but was still restricted to less than 5 bush cords a year...the stove pipe had a 90 degree angle changed to a 45 degree angle near the ceiling to conform with regulations also...

yeah, that would lower part of the pipe and give more clearance from the ceiling, same issue I had. that and a few panels of stoveboard for the walls and a fireproof area in front of the stove door. easy peasy. I believe most insurers have problems with open fireplaces in homes, properly installed stoves shouldn't present any problems I'd think

I was hoping to put all my insurance with one company (auto & home) and get a bit of a discount but my auto ins. co [economical] won't touch my home [wett certified wood stove]. so i ended up having to go with two different companies.

guess who's not getting my business when auto ins. comes up for renewal.

hey raff,

Were they refusing you based on incorrect safety clearances or simply because you're burning wood ? While the stove may be fine, was it installed properly taking into account all the clearances around the stove ? These details are what my insurance company wanted corrected before insuring us. A WETT inspector will tell you what work needs to be done to be legal and they won't fudge any measurements.

I am WETT certified. Like most things, it's a pretty easy course. I'm not sure what the course costs because my company paid for it. But why not take the course, certify your own system, and then go out and make some fishing tackle money on the side with it? Just a thought...

hey raff,

Were they refusing you based on incorrect safety clearances or simply because you're burning wood ? While the stove may be fine, was it installed properly taking into account all the clearances around the stove ? These details are what my insurance company wanted corrected before insuring us. A WETT inspector will tell you what work needs to be done to be legal and they won't fudge any measurements.

It was WETT certified before I approached them. They simply did not want anything to do with a wood burner no matter what.

I was hoping to put all my insurance with one company (auto & home) and get a bit of a discount but my auto ins. co [economical] won't touch my home [wett certified wood stove]. so i ended up having to go with two different companies.

guess who's not getting my business when auto ins. comes up for renewal.

I have both our vehicles and home insurance with Intact Insurance...

I forgot to mention that I had to get the stove WETT inspected and the pipe changed to double walled with stainless steel before I could get the house insured but was still restricted to less than 5 bush cords a year...the stove pipe had a 90 degree angle changed to a 45 degree angle near the ceiling to conform with regulations also...

Really? Who is going to enforce that? Seems like a silly rule to me.

It does indeed John! I have 3 airtight fireplaces in the house. Been insured for 18 years now and have never been asked how much wood I burn, nor is it any of their business for that matter. Up at the lake... I noticed that the insurance company had my heat source down as oil on the policy.. vs the electric baseboards that really did the work. Told them I had changed out the oil stove for a new Napolean airtight wood stove and the principle heat was electric baseboards. Expected a premium change for the wood... and they didn't care other than a picture and clearances marked on same (against a stone wall). Mind you when they are already charging triple to four times what a road access building would be... for being on an island... I don't imagine they could legitimise much more. I pay as much at the lake for 900 sq ft as I do here at home for house, shop and hangar.

Many insurance co's around me would not touch a wood stove. Expecially if you said it was your main source of heat. I had to provide a picture of the stove and surrounding area as well as the wett inspection. I am in the same boat as you Beans. Electric baseboards (never turned on, way too expensive) and need to burn at least 3 bush cords a year to heat. Have been burning the same woodstove for 26 years now. Starting to get too old for this and still recovering from stacking a couple of bush cords the other day. Jeesh, it can take away from my fishing time.