Grouse season

kickingfrog

Tell me about it Rob. When the rain started last night,and continued all day,I was not a happy fella. I did go and pick up a nice river combo from a member today though.

I got 7 days vacation coming. I,ll be making the best of it.

Im wondering how the float tube will be shooting some water fowl?

I was pounding local woodies this morning in the rain.

But would love to table a few chickens this year!

Do you travel far to hunt them?

And Brian.. Good luck with the tube. Should work out nice. Could have used one today...

Took my boys (4 and 10) out for a drive tonight in the rain. No birds but the boys fired the pellet gun and the oldest shot my .22. With the pellet gun my oldest was 3/3 on pop cans from 25' and went 4/5 after I backed him up to almost 40'.

Me and the oldest are going in the morning.

I use a 22 and 17hmr on grouse quite often, with the new rimfires (wmr/hmr) you need to be careful of your backdrop, the 17 is chrono'ed at about 2300 fps and will pass through and keep going, something to consider.....strictly neck/head shots

I've also seen many breast shot birds with a 22 fly or stumble away, hard to recover without a dog....I really like the cci skived tip ammo or hornady xtp I think it's called...the breast will be salvagable if you hit it, not unlike the ammo marketed as 'varmint'...don't use that stuff on grouse, with a bad shot you won't get much left other than training bird or fly tying supply

I know the ruffed grouse are around, but the bush is so thick that we can't get any clear shots or we keep spooking them. Oh well, lots of time left and the leaves are really starting to drop now.

when they spook, are they completely gone or will they rest in a nearby tree? if they take cover in a tree, shoot from the bottom up first, less likely to flush the rest that way

I use a 22 and 17hmr on grouse quite often, with the new rimfires (wmr/hmr) you need to be careful of your backdrop, the 17 is chrono'ed at about 2300 fps and will pass through and keep going, something to consider.....strictly neck/head shots

I've also seen many breast shot birds with a 22 fly or stumble away, hard to recover without a dog....I really like the cci skived tip ammo or hornady xtp I think it's called...the breast will be salvagable if you hit it, not unlike the ammo marketed as 'varmint'...don't use that stuff on grouse, with a bad shot you won't get much left other than training bird or fly tying supply

when they spook, are they completely gone or will they rest in a nearby tree? if they take cover in a tree, shoot from the bottom up first, less likely to flush the rest that way

They are flying right into the thickets and out of sight... not worth chasing them... we are just being impatient; lots of time left in the season! Still, the walks are great!

20g for birds and the 12g as well. Still way too many leaves up on the trees for us to go out. Need some cool weather so those leaves will drop!

Yup! The wind helped yesterday, but the low-lying green stuff needs a few frosts to knock it down.

Chris, if you want duck or goose feathers, let me know, and let me know what specie of duck too....I get a mix of everything. How'd the turkey feathers work out for you?

S.

Have you ever shot a widgeon before Sink?? In this area...