Weekend At Bernie's - Sept 13 Edition

Headhunter

Well, another weekend at Bernie's has come and gone. For those of you who don't know, Bernie has invited a group of us up to his place on Nipissing for the past number of years. These trips happen three times a year, with the spring trip coinciding with the season opener, a late summer trip after Labour Day and a hard water trip, usually in February.

The usual cast of characters (with some unable to attend) met up a CCMT's place in Whitby. Myself, CCMT, FishnSled and "small talkin guy" were on the road north by 9:30am, Friday morning. When you have done this trip as many times as we have, you tend to develop some habits...

A stop at Timmies in Beaverton and a stop in Powasson at a little place called "Kudos" for some lunch before we meet up with Bernie at his shop in Powasson.

We were un-loaded and sipping a beverage by 3:00pm on Friday afternoon. After some discussion, it was decided that we would forgo dinner early, for an opportunity to fish "magic hour", so off we went.

Well, it didn't take too long for us to reach our "limit" with Pickereyes... we found them on the same "hump" as we did last February... limits reached by all within an hour and a half of fishing!

Unfortunately, all the Pickereyes caught were small, but appreciated.

Saturday morning arrived and we were back out at the crack of 9:30am! Again, the smallish Pickereyes were cooperative and we all managed to put fish in the boat.

The weather Saturday was not the best, wind, misty rain etc, but we made the best of it.

After some lunch, CCMT, FnS and Small talker headed out for some mutli-species fishing, while Bernie and I stored up our energy, for our fish later in the afternoon.

Around 4:00pm we decided to hit the lake again as the weather had cleared, so off we went!

Two casts for Bernie, and he has his limit! Again, I don't think we were out for longer than an hour and a half, before we had our 4 fish total!

As usual, the laughs were many, the food was great and Bernie's hospitality, second to none!

Many thanks again Bernie, for allowing this group of "rectums" to join you at your little piece of paradise!

The other guys have pics, so I assume they will add to this thread, when they see it!

Now, the long wait until February for our next gathering.

HH

Edit to add...

Apparently one member of the group who went out Saturday afternoon, had what was described as a world record Musky boatside, only to have the "net guy" flub the scoop. I won't names names Cliff, but I would perhaps suggest that it might be time well spent, for a few of us to take a tutorial on netting techiques. Just sayin! LMAO

Edited by Headhunter

Apparently one member of the group who went out Saturday afternoon, had what was described as a world record Musky boatside, only to have the "net guy" flub the scoop.

Amazing how many world record muskies are lost boatside before any pictures are taken :lol:

Sounds like you boys had another great trip as always Joe

Amazing how many world record muskies are lost boatside before any pictures are taken :lol:

Lew I'm sure it will be a girthy 5 footer before the day is done :whistling: Nice report Joe. Looking forward to some pictures posted by the rest of the motley crew.

A great time as always Lew... and yah, O'Brien would have been shaking in his boots seeing that beasty! LOL

HH

Apparently one member of the group who went out Saturday afternoon, had what was described as a world record Musky boatside, only to have the "net guy" flub the scoop. I won't names names Cliff, but I would perhaps suggest that it might be time well spent, for a few of us to take a tutorial on netting techiques. Just sayin! LMAO

It was the size of a snot rocket....he was running 6 pound mono....it's teeth sliced through the line when it went crazy. That's the story and I'm sticking to it!!

Thanks for the report Joe and a great time as always!! Thanks for putting up with us again Bernie.

It was the size of a snot rocket....he was running 6 pound mono....it's teeth sliced through the line when it went crazy. That's the story and I'm sticking to it!!

It was at least a 50 to 60 class fish.....cm..... BTW - Lousy story....lol!