looking for new boat

pyro

I know this is post is a lot of information to absorb...but....sit in the boat...play with it. I bought a SmokerCraft ProMag 182 which I just sold (awesome boat btw) but the rod compartment didnt fit spinning rods well (guides to big for the tubes). I never even considered that when I bought it.

Hahahahahaaha. I have the same problem...never even thought to try a rod in the tube. However we had what thought was a water leak in my Pro Mag - turned out the speedo hose had popped off and was spraying water up through the front of the boat. My Dad took the rod tubes out to let the front hull dry off - and I never put them back in.

A month or so ago, we launched our boat at the same time as a couple of fishing show hosts did, brand new Lund predator with massive merc and all the toys... We both also pulled out of water at the same time after about 8hrs, and watched him pull the plug. He was in shock when he saw about a hundred gallons of water bursting out. When we pulled out our plug and didnt have a drop come out, he laughed and said " guess they just dont make them like they used to eh?" On the drive home we followed his trail of water for about 5km. Lol

I guess every manufacture can have it's issues... or the owner drilled a hole where it didn't belong. My Lund has been sitting at my dock in Temagami since Mothers day and I've yet to take it out, as we've been elsewhere since June 11th. Full cover is on.. there's not a drop of water in the hull 3 months later as my neighbour checks on it weekly.

Anyone notice the OP hasn't been back?... first post.. no response.. gone elsewhere? What boat is he looking for, a tinny.. a 24' r? Maybe we should wait 'till he tells us. I could use some more Naden dollars, buy one of those!

Edited by irishfield

Yah.. I believe you...

I detect some sarcasm there. Yamaha made the power heads for Merc 4 strokes in the early 2000's. Mine falls into that category. Even if it's an ACME brand, it's been bullet proof.

Angler management,

I really am happy for you with the experience you've had with the legend.

For every consumer product there will be a bad one for the same product. My Starcraft which will be 20 years old soon does take on a bit of water after 8 hours on the lake. My used Lund had a crack in it from stem to stern. Luckily I had the dealer write a short term leak warranty into the sales contract.

Yes it looks like the original OP bought a boat and hasn't returned to shore. Many a new OP post all over the place the same question and forget the original site or username and passwords.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

thanks everbody lots to think about. my budget is 15k to 25k. we fish in lake Ontario and some of the little lakes around Ontario. my wife wants lots of storage and room for the grandkids. about 16 to 18 foot. the best warranty so far is legend with a leak proof for life warranty. thank again mike

Check my 2008 Crestliner 1650 Canadian Edition for sale. Its a steal at $16,000.

This boat new would cost you close to $28,000 why spend that kind of money and then lose almost half for using it few times.

Edited by FishOn

My boat is for sale at the end of the season. it's a 2012 so only used for 2 seasons (from july to October 2012, june to now 2013). Garage stored in the winter.

It's a Crestliner 1850 Raptor with a 200 hp Optimax. The boat is loaded up for fishing, with family features - a requirement by the other investor - such as fold up bench seat, swim platform, snap in carpet, full stand up cover. Tournament ready fishing that easily handles water sports and cruising. It's a rocket if you want it to be - 57 mph

The boat is in mint condition. Crestliner warranty is transferrable. Motor has a 5 year warranty on it, also transferrable. So you can get a practically new boat without the price, with full coverage.

Admittedly, it is out of your stated budget but if you're interested, email me at [email protected]

I was looking at warranty on 5 or 6 boats and found that Legend has a leak proof for life, but how is the boat itself it looks nice but how does it run on the water?

Warranties are a weird topic for me...

I think it's great they'll fix you boat if it leaks.... But who's gunna get your boat off the bottom if lake O if your boat splits open...?

I may be exaggerating but I think my point is clear...

I like a product that doesn't need warranty work... Then I don't have to worry about my equipment failing me during peak season and being in the shop for 2 months... And fighting with warranty loopholes....

If you go 2-5 years old you'll save so much money you can pretty well fix anything and still save... You can get a great outfit for 15-25k...

My brother got a 20 foot ranger fisherman 620T deep v with a 115hp tiller for 21000... Only 3-4 years old... No issues...

Other perk to buying used... You usually get a fully rigged boat... Sonar/GPS... Trolling motors... Etc...

• 4 weeks later...