New car brake dust...NF

lew

My daughter just purchased a brand new Honda Civic this week and now, with only a couple hundred kilometers on it, the 4 wheels are covered in heavy brake dust and it's even visible on the rear fenders. I ran my fingers thru it last night and it came up black, like you'd find in an exhaust pipe from a car in desperate need of a tune up.

Dealership says that's normal for the 1st few thousand kilometers but doesn't sound right to me. Hondas are great cars and she's had a couple of them but this heavy brake dust is something I've never come across on a new car before.

I buy a new truck every couple years and have never seen that before, but I'm kinda fanatical and wash my truck every few days. :lol:

Anyone know for sure what's up ??

Hope it doesn't come to replacing the pads on a brand new car Randy, but she's gonna take it back to the dealership on Tuesday and see what's up.

Thanks for that link Roy, it was a good read and it sure seems like alot of vehicles have the problem. Hopeully the dealer will do something.

I know what your saying Art, but this to me seems really excessive and I've never seen brake dust on the rear fenders, specially on a brand new car only a couple days old.

It's going back to the dealer on Tuesday but it won't be a problem as she also works there.

Hi Lew.
Not often I see this on new cars, usually on vehicles that have had "inexpensive" brake pads installed.
This can be cured with the use of better quality pads.
This is somewhat surprising considering it's a Honda. I guess competition between brands is forcing cost cutting everywhere.
I'm curious what the dealer will do to solve this. I looked in my database for service bulletins regarding this, but nothing in service bulletins yet.

Thanks Bernie, I appreciate you checking into the bulletins on this.

I called a couple different Honda dealers yesterday and got complete opposite answers from them. One said it sounded about normal and the other said it sounded very excessive :dunno:

As I said above, my daughter works for the dealership where the car was purchased, so I'm sure they'll look after it for her but I'm gonna suggest an upgrade on the pads.

If anyones interested, here's a picture of the rear fender just behind the wheel. That black crud is also all over all 4 wheels and the rear fender on the other side.

I can't see how this could possibly be considered normal on a brand new vehicle only a few days old.

securedownload.jpg