Dead Bass after Weekend Tourney

esoxansteel

Who said I don't want a bassboat????? I said anyone can buy one and people shouldn't assume that they know how to drive the things because they have one.

Maybe they should make a boaters operator's card the real thing so people actually have to know the laws and how to operate a boat. A test that is required to drive the other vehicles you mentioned.

Driving a full throttled bassboat within 20' of a stopped boat is not safe.

Dead fish!

LMAOOOOOO

Ya, and might as well tax anyone that doesnt drive a Chevy Volt as well....

Last time I checked 9.9 HP motors use GAS too. LOL

Do i seriously need to explain how the 9.9 might require less energy to operate than a 200hp?

This has always been my favourite argument from the people who see themselves as outside of the problem...that because some other thing exists and uses gas (9.9) then by extension, the 200hp is no different.

Why don't you make a GoPro video of you gassing up and driving around the lake? I'm sure it would be a hit.

What does the number of tournaments have to do with anything?? We have club tournaments with 4 boats. The B1 will have more than 160 boats.

Zero knowledge = ridiculous statements

So you don't think there should be a central body that could oversee all tournaments to make sure that no 1 lake is being fished too much, especially with multiple tournaments at the same time? Christ, i need a permit to use a baseball diamond for an hour practice, surely something can be put in place to limit tournaments in ontario.

That's fine you dont't see it that way. Don't mistake my disagreeing with you or having this particular opinion as zero knowledge. As i said previously, i used to own a bass boat and fish tournaments. I know first hand about all of it.

Who said I don't want a bassboat????? I said anyone can buy one and people shouldn't assume that they know how to drive the things because they have one.

Maybe they should make a boaters operator's card the real thing so people actually have to know the laws and how to operate a boat. A test that is required to drive the other vehicles you mentioned.

Driving a full throttled bassboat within 20' of a stopped boat is not safe.

Dead fish!

I know it's not your intention, but one would think you have an issue with bass boat owners still. A full throttled other vehicles will do the same, I had so many sea doo guys come out of nowhere to wave and smile 10' away from me while I was parked (almost dumping me in my 14' tinboat). Maybe people will not label you bass boat hater if you would just remove "bassboat". lol

Okay, everyone was talking bassboats, obviously any watercraft that has a dangerous driver is a concern.

Guess I have to be more careful with my wording. LOL

I would love to be able to afford a bassboat!

I know it's not your intention, but one would think you have an issue with bass boat owners still. A full throttled other vehicles will do the same, I had so many sea doo guys come out of nowhere to wave and smile 10' away from me while I was parked (almost dumping me in my 14' tinboat). Maybe people will not label you bass boat hater if you would just remove "bassboat". lol

Don't talk too loud, that is actually the trend in Europe. Believe both Germany and Switzerland recently passed laws banning C and R.

C&R should be banned.

No one should fish unless they keep and eat what they catch.

Then we would not have stupid topics about dead fish floating around.

:)

JMO.

I don't see how a catch and kill policy is better than a catch and release policy. That reeks of P3TA.

Don't talk too loud, that is actually the trend in Europe. Believe both Germany and Switzerland recently passed laws banning C and R.

I hear there is a blizzard moving through ON tonight....winternet in july!

it doesn't matter where you fish, how you fish, what type of boat you have....there is summer kill every year with high water temps, just like winter kill

how many more bass have actually washed up since that article was written? this whole thing sounds like a cottage owner that thinks he owns the water and doesn't want tournaments...making a mountain out of an ant hill

IMO tournaments anglers have the utmost concern for conservation and boost the local economy....ask the local marinas, gas stations, restaurants, hotels, etc if they have a problem with tourneys?

Has there ever been a survey done in tournament heavy areas with local businesses like the ones you mentioned. I would be interested in seeing the results on the local economy. Hard facts would put an end to many heated discussions around this.

I hear there is a blizzard moving through ON tonight....winternet in july!

it doesn't matter where you fish, how you fish, what type of boat you have....there is summer kill every year with high water temps, just like winter kill

how many more bass have actually washed up since that article was written? this whole thing sounds like a cottage owner that thinks he owns the water and doesn't want tournaments...making a mountain out of an ant hill

IMO tournaments anglers have the utmost concern for conservation and boost the local economy....ask the local marinas, gas stations, restaurants, hotels, etc if they have a problem with tourneys?

Edited by jimmer

Has there ever been a survey done in tournament heavy areas with local businesses like the ones you mentioned. I would be interested in seeing the results on the local economy. Hard facts would put an end to many heated discussions around this.

I beleive there have been surveys done in the kawartha's as to economic impact from tourism, with tourism including angling days...but I'm not aware of any specific studies targeting tourneys specifically....I did a stint in college for hotel & resort management, studied a lot on the topic but obviously not angling/tourney specific data....I'd be interested to see those specific numbers too

any tourney guys want to pitch in?.....how much does a tourney cost you? gas, food, lodging, etc every day?

Hi everyone,

I just read this topic and thought I would give a response to the question of impact to the local tourism.

I fished both one day tournaments on the weekend in question and will give you first hand my expenses.

First off, I live in Huntsville. I have a two and a half hour drive one way to get to Peterborough so it costs me on average $175.00 in fuel for the truck just for the return trip back to Huntsville.

For these particular events I spent three days of practice. The weekend before the event my wife and I went to Peterborough and stayed in a hotel. Hotel costs were $202.00.

Fuel in the boat was approximately $100.00/day.

While in Peterborough we spent close to $200.00 in meals for the weekend(I had to take my wife to the Keg for making her sit in the boat all weekend :D ).

The weekend of the tournament I spent Friday on the water practicing then had a tournament Saturday and a tournament Sunday.

Return trip from Huntsville $175.00

Hotel costs were another $202.00

Fuel was the same, approximately $100.00/day.

Meals and misc. expenses were approximately $200.00 for the three days.

My totals for these tournaments is around $1,654.00 with approximately $1,300.00 injected directly into the Peterborough area.

These numbers do not include my entry fees or the time my tournament partner spent on the water or the money he spent in the area. He was on the water for four days of practice.

These are just my expenses so I could definitely see some extra money coming into the community for the weekend with all the anglers as a whole.

As far as the article that was in the local paper that is something I certainly don't like to see at all and cottagers certainly have a right to have some questions. Our tournaments were on the Saturday and Sunday. Those fish in the picture look like they had been deceased long before those days(but that is my opinion and it may be wrong. I am not a biologist)

As a tournament angler I knew ahead of time it was going to be a very hot weekend so we prepared ourselves for that. Each morning four bags of ice were purchased and used throughout the day to keep the water temperatures from skyrocketing in the live wells. My live wells also have oxgenators in them that keep pumping in fresh oxygen all day long. At the end of the day it is harder to get the fish out of the live well because they are in such good shape.

Also, because of the heat we did not target any smallmouth bass as they seem to be affected more in the extreme heat while in live wells.

The tournament organizer takes a lot of care and effort in making sure the fish are healthy to be released and I believe the anglers as a whole participating in these events make the same type of effort.

This type of topic can have many opinions and can get heated. This is understandable.

The one common thing I see in this thread is that all the people involved care about the fish...........and that is a good thing!

I hope this helps with some of the questions that were asked.

Dave Kennedy