north bay area members ,need help trailer rental

bow slayer

instead of driving 2 vehicles this year one pulling boat,the other the tent trailer we are thinking about renting a tent or travel trailer from somewhere in the North Bay area.We are staying at Restoule PP from July 12-19. So if anyone knows of a rental place or someone who privately rents an unit please forward to me contact info. Not sure if any of the RV dealers in the area do. thanks in advance

Cut and paste from the Ontario Ministry of Transportation website:

Towing More Than One Vehicle

Cars, passenger vans and SUVs are not permitted to tow more than one trailer or one vehicle. Motor homes, trucks, pickup trucks and truck campers are legally permitted to tow two trailers or a trailer and a motor vehicle behind a trailer. However, a three vehicle combination that is swaying excessively, is unstable or has reduced handling capabilities is subject to action by the police as an unsafe combination of vehicles under the Highway Traffic Act.

The maximum length of any combination of vehicles is 23 m (75' 6").

My understanding was that you could only pull a boat behind a camper trailer if the camper is hooked up to truck with a 5th wheel.

That was my thoughts also.

Edited by lew

I don’t see your logic here, if you already have access to a tent trailer and a tow vehicle to haul it?

By the time you spend the money to rent something and the fuel to collect it and then return it; I don’t think you’ll be any further ahead cost wise, then towing your own?

I live in London and can make it to the West Arm and back when I towed my boat on less then two tanks of fuel. That still adds up to approx $275.00; but what kind of trailer are you going to rent for that money and like I said you’ll still have to pick it up and return it.

What am I not seeing because I’m in the opposite position now? I have access to a tent trailer but I may have to rent a boat (sold mine) if we can’t get the one we were offered to use.

Dan.

totally legal if the towing vehicle ( even vans and SUV) if they have black plates , first trailer must have tandem axles with a tongue or electric brake

, driver must be able to see the second trailer , total length not to exceed 23M.

I was through this a few summers ago with the MTO and the OPP , I was driving my full size Expedition.

Blue plates , no fine , just a warning .

I still have blue plates , I just don't tow a train anymore. .

I don’t see your logic here, if you already have access to a tent trailer and a tow vehicle to haul it?

By the time you spend the money to rent something and the fuel to collect it and then return it; I don’t think you’ll be any further ahead cost wise, then towing your own?

I live in London and can make it to the West Arm and back when I towed my boat on less then two tanks of fuel. That still adds up to approx $275.00; but what kind of trailer are you going to rent for that money and like I said you’ll still have to pick it up and return it.

What am I not seeing because I’m in the opposite position now? I have access to a tent trailer but I may have to rent a boat (sold mine) if we can’t get the one we were offered to use.

Dan.

couple different reasons,1) wife is not a huge fan of driving and pulling a trailer,boat or tent

2) the cost of driving second vehicle with gas and paying for second vehicle at park would equal what a tent trailer would rent for or close 3)would of been nice to travel together for long drive(also live in London area) 4) oldest son 18 was hoping to be left a vehicle to get around to work while we were gone

Assuming you have a pick up truck, try finding a place that rents truck campers that sit on the bed. Then you could tow boat and truck camper.

Take a look on kijiji too I have seen ads where people rent their trailers out.

• 2 weeks later...