How do you think you'd do without your electronics?

I think I would do pretty good (well, normal for me) without electronics b/c I never use them (even though I do own a fishfinder). Usually to do well for species like walleye or something I stick to very obvious places where I think they might be at very obvious times. (ex. 10-20 feet out from points at dusk)

also, some places when I am at a cottage, if I see a spot that might be decent (usually a rock face or something) I will go diving to check it out a few hours before I fish it. I have even seen a few smallmouth cruising around these said ledges, and they don't even seem to care that you're there with them. pretty cool to watch, and gives you a very good idea of what the depth and structure is like underwater

you know, i have much better luck fishing without them, been out on a friends boat, have only landed 1 fish on itand he relies on his fish finder, my dad an g/fs dad haveno electronics on their boats, and i have caught countless fish on them, so i think i do just fine without them

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

I generally do ok without them but much of this is often because i've fished an area before WITH electronics. when fishing new water i like to have electronics to at least get a rough lake profile in my head.

My electronics saved me $300 on Saturday.

We were fishing 4' rollers and landing a fish. I still had a rod out on the planer board tipped down 45* and the boat was rockin' hard. I figure at some point with the heavy waves, the rod holder (Bert's Ratcheting Tube) was parallel with the water and the pull from the planer board sucked it right out of the boat.

We released the fish and Rob said "Ummm, where's your rod?"

We pulled the big planer board in hoping the release was still clinching the line but no luck.

We cleared the rods, spun the boat around and re-deployed in hopes to snag the line. Thankfully I was running a Harvo at the time and it's a floating lure. I followed our track on the GPS which was extremely challenging in high winds and waves and prevailed. Saved a Tekota 600LC, rod and muskie lure.

For trolling I utilize electronics heavily on big water for navigation, systematic trolling, speed and water temperature. Secondary benefits are structure and fish activity. Many of my fish over the years are produced from a clean sonar screen; flat bottom and little activity. If I had to choose either sonar OR gps for trolling, I'd take gps.

For casting and small water, the electronics are nice to get you to a spot but then your senses and instinct have to take over. A paper chart or topo map is just as useful for finding humps and saddles. Your lure will tell you all you need to know about structure. Practice and education will tell you where the fish should be and your senses will confirm if you are correct. That's where the best anglers excel. ChrisK and I were fishing walleye on the same spot, same presentation and he's outfishing me 5-1. He's in the back of the boat telling me "hey, you got one on" LOL!! The same goes for icefisherman (Emil), fishing the same baits a few feet apart on the ice and getting outfished 5-1. I don't think I even want to attempt carp and walleye fishing with Bly.... LOL!!

My electronics saved me $300 on Saturday.

We were fishing 4' rollers and landing a fish. I still had a rod out on the planer board tipped down 45* and the boat was rockin' hard. I figure at some point with the heavy waves, the rod holder (Bert's Ratcheting Tube) was parallel with the water and the pull from the planer board sucked it right out of the boat.

We released the fish and Rob said "Ummm, where's your rod?"

We pulled the big planer board in hoping the release was still clinching the line but no luck.

We cleared the rods, spun the boat around and re-deployed in hopes to snag the line. Thankfully I was running a Harvo at the time and it's a floating lure. I followed our track on the GPS which was extremely challenging in high winds and waves and prevailed. Saved a Tekota 600LC, rod and muskie lure.

For trolling I utilize electronics heavily on big water for navigation, systematic trolling, speed and water temperature. Secondary benefits are structure and fish activity. Many of my fish over the years are produced from a clean sonar screen; flat bottom and little activity. If I had to choose either sonar OR gps for trolling, I'd take gps.

For casting and small water, the electronics are nice to get you to a spot but then your senses and instinct have to take over. A paper chart or topo map is just as useful for finding humps and saddles. Your lure will tell you all you need to know about structure. Practice and education will tell you where the fish should be and your senses will confirm if you are correct. That's where the best anglers excel. ChrisK and I were fishing walleye on the same spot, same presentation and he's outfishing me 5-1. He's in the back of the boat telling me "hey, you got one on" LOL!! The same goes for icefisherman (Emil), fishing the same baits a few feet apart on the ice and getting outfished 5-1. I don't think I even want to attempt carp and walleye fishing with Bly.... LOL!!

think there was a bit of luck involved with that, the wind didn't blow the lure off trackor the rod didn't drag it down