Kesagami Fly-in Trip!!

TJQ

Finally got a chance to post some of this stuff. We went up to Kesagami Wilderness Lodge last week for a 5 night trip, to eat some shorelunches and mayhaps get that big pike on weve been looking for.. and do some underwater video... AND get a chance to see Avery, who is working as a dockhand this summer there!

We got to Cochrane, and checked in at the best western. Im sure that there are nice places other than the Best Western, but the last time we were in Cochrane, I cheaped out on the motel, and well.. lets just say for only the second time in my life.. we left a motel without checking out.. and wound up at the best western anyway lol. Top notch accommodations and a continental (really nice) breakfast available at 6 am so you can make the drive to the airbase by 7 am which is when they start flying out. Quite convenient.

IMG_0044Medium_zps21a81ee1.jpg

The flight in is about 45-50 min depending on headwind so we climbed into the Beaver and away we went! The scenery was awesome.

Our Pilot

IMG_0449Medium_zps129c14a3.jpg

IMG_0058Medium_zps7440da59.jpg

IMG_0059Medium_zpsdba4d377.jpg

IMG_0061Medium_zps8405f577.jpg

Promptly upon arrival, we were treated to a full breakfast while the dockhands bring the luggage to your room/cabin.

This dockhand seem genuinely happy to see us!!

IMG_0403Medium_zps052ddb40.jpg

It was a cloudy day, but not Raining so our guide Brandon for the day grabbed us and out we went for some pickeral fishing! We were only out for three hours before lunch but managed at least 60.

IMG_0076Medium_zps0dfb04e4.jpg

AS the weather started to degrade we deiced it was time for shorelunch, which the guide prepares... I gotta say after getting over the discomfort of not helping clean the fish or cook the lunch, being catered to was kinda nice!! We pondered the fact that life was good! Poor Brandon cooked us up a feast in the wind and rain!

IMG_0081Medium_zps0d7261f1.jpg

IMG_0082Medium_zps4527b715.jpg

IMG_0091Medium_zps7b109eac.jpg

Warming up by the lunch!! LOL

IMG_0095Medium_zpsc46850ef.jpg

The wind picked up so after lunch we found a quite spot, put on some spoons and just trolled around for a bit. Was suprised that even in an area that wasn't "spot" we managed to pick up pickeral on our spoons!

IMG_0107Medium_zpsfeb2fdce.jpg

and they all went back in!

IMG_0109Medium_zps07562204.jpg

IMG_1763Medium_zps0b46ecc6.jpg

IMG_1765Medium_zps6511cfd0.jpg

After an afternoon like that we sat back and let our guide get us safely back across the lake where we retired to our room before dinner for a beverage.

IMG_0111Medium_zps3aa13133.jpg

Then with BBQ Ribs on the menu, we sat down and had the pleasure of sitting next to these gentlemen. I told them Id make them famous.

IMG_0118Medium_zps796e865e.jpg

A quick view of the sunset and it was time to call it a day!

IMG_0122Medium_zps044ac482.jpg

We deciedd to strike out the next day on our own and explore some parts of the lake that we hadnt been guided to. WE didnt get the same amount of fish, BUT there's literally no where in that lake along the shoreline that you can catch fish. It was a beautiful sunny day and we made the most of it.

IMG_0132Medium_zpsf309fb62.jpg

With enough fish for lunch we descended on a beautiful beach, and did up our lunch!!

IMG_0134Medium_zpsffa187bb.jpg

IMG_0144Medium_zps8ed19ed6.jpg

IMG_1783Medium_zps3304afc2.jpg

IMG_1785Medium_zps169670fe.jpg

Our Favorite dockhand had a few hours off and offered to give us a little tour of the lake... Momma was happy to have some face time!! Hes looking great, happy and is doing a bang up job!! (Im told!!)

IMG_0150Medium_zps56e9826f.jpg

After and afternoon of that we went back, had a wonderful supper, once again watched an incredible sunset and got ready for the next day!

IMG_0152Medium_zps0e42f26c.jpg

IMG_0155Medium_zps997a9970.jpg

For the next three days we booked a guide, one of the more senior ones, Stuart. We should have gotten aguide that couldnt fish.. because it rapidly descened into a competition as to who could catch more fish him or Monique. I am not at liberty to say who won... lol....

The next day started with us going out and getting what we needed for shore lucnh in short order. then staying and catching and relasing at least 60 more before going to lunch. The lodges policy is 2 pan size pickeral for lunch per person and everything should be on a single barbless hook.

IMG_0178Medium_zps4de937c5.jpg

And then the best time of day... again! He cleaned hem while we kept fishing... (I almost wept with joy ... ok... ok.. I wept with joy)

IMG_0181Medium_zps6a0de520.jpg

then prepared us a fantastic lunch. Lemon and herb spiced!!

IMG_0182Medium_zps50a835c8.jpg

IMG_0189Medium_zps5366f626.jpg

Here is the second half!!

Then prepared us a fantastic lunch. Lemon and herb spiced!!
IMG_0182Medium_zps50a835c8.jpg
IMG_0189Medium_zps5366f626.jpg
IMG_0194Medium_zps0ca1e837.jpg
And ohhhh did we eat!!
After a few more spots we called it a day, with Stuart picking up a decent northern!
IMG_0198Medium_zps004d8860.jpg
IMG_1796Medium_zps1768f3c0.jpg
Back at the Lodge... we find my wife in her happy place... lol.. by the fire..
IMG_0202Medium_zps55bab0e7.jpg
The next day was a veritable pickeral extravaganza.. we honestly lost count of how many we pulled out that day. Events were much the same as the day before, which was not hard to take!
IMG_0206Medium_zps0306af7c.jpg
I am pretty sure poor ol' Stuart had never guided anyone like the two of us before.. lol I think he'll be spending his summer earnings on therapy sessions...
IMG_0211Medium_zps83451b55.jpg
IMG_0217Medium_zps0c116a53.jpg
Today it was Cajun' Pickeral.. which turned out to be my favourite of the trip!!
IMG_0222Medium_zpscdc7753e.jpg
Best seat in the house!
IMG_0224Medium_zps9bb7bd4e.jpg
That afternoon we scoured the shoreline for big pike.. but the pickeral were ON!! and no matter what we casted (Stuart wouldn't let us troll... BOO HOO) we couldn't keep the pickeral off!
IMG_0231Medium_zps10db4e1a.jpg
IMG_0235Medium_zpse0b1ddde.jpg
IMG_0240Medium_zpsf1a9b892.jpg
IMG_0241Medium_zps212a0907.jpg
We fished till late then called it a day.. once again exhausted, full and happy!
The next morning the long days had taken its toll on Monique and she decided to sleep in a bit so I grabbed Stuart and off we went in search of shore lunch first.. then we tried for some underwater video. Which I knew was gonna be hard.
Shore lunch was not hard.. in 10 min we had all we needed.
Love this shot with the plane in the background.
IMG_0286Medium_zps96d829b9.jpg
IMG_0287Medium_zpsdb71450a.jpg
The underwater work proved difficult.. I got three strikes, but twice they hit the camera instead of the lure!!
So shore lunch it was.. and I managed to get Stuart to cook over the open fire. (Teryaki Pickeral this time!)
IMG_1808Medium_zpse2e39fe1.jpg
IMG_0295Medium_zps7fb0a4be.jpg
So after lunch we headed back to pick up Monique and feed her her share.. lol and then spend the rest of the day on a great spot and proceeded to haul out more than 70 walleye in a fierce competition between us (combined) lol and the Guide.
IMG_0303Medium_zps76dc5c44.jpg
IMG_0318Medium_zps45f5d896.jpg
IMG_0342Medium_zps25f7185c.jpg
Then...
Monique gets THIS!!
IMG_0330Medium_zpsa7794dfc.jpg
IMG_0335Medium_zps242bd3c9.jpg
What a blast!! 41 inches of fun fun fun!!
With our quest complete we sadly went back to the lodge to watch one last sunset and pack our gear.
IMG_0352Medium_zpsd3c3eaeb.jpg
The next day, a quick flight back to Cochrane and our trip was over... (till next time!!)
IMG_0448Medium_zpsc0f2e247.jpg
IMG_0453Medium_zps1615d876.jpg
IMG_0456Medium_zps62d39d48.jpg
Thanks to Charlie, Jacob, Avery, Frankie, Stuart, Brandon and all the girls.. (They put up with alot!!) The staff there are fantastic and are always on the lookout to make your trip as good as it can possibly be..
We only had one glitch/complaint... one time they put ice in my whiskey... I mean come on....

OH YA!! I forgot to add this photo of Monique coming across a section of the lake with a pretty good chop..hahahaha (shes gonna kill me for this one..)

IMG_1791Medium_zps19693f3b.jpg

How do we know what you are doing on the other side of the camera? :whistling:

LOL.. Dont worry, nothing i could show her can shock her anymore.... lol or anyone else for that matter...

I don't know about that. I think there might be a plumber in Virginia that wakes up with bear nightmares every now and then. :w00t:

OK.. Point taken... lololololol

Wow !!!! Awesome family trip boss !!!! Some very nice pickerel eyes !!!!! Man that shore lunch bonanza looked amazing !!!!!! Just curious can you pm me what that cost ball park for a trip just like that ?? Thanks. Cheers

PM sent

And Mike.. Brandon will be ok.. but Poor Stuart... 3 days in the boat alone with us... hell never be the same... nope never be the same... we were relentless...

Looks like way too many chits and giggles were had up there. To see a fishery like that, how can you NOT have a fantastic trip. I hope you tuned them in about the whiskey n ice. That there is almost a deal breaker on a return visit! hahaha.

cheers, Ron...

You're killing me TJ. What a place! I've gotta get my ass up there...and I will. I hope Avery is still there though. Thanks for the report.

Do it Roy, it's heaven man flat out....the lake is loaded with fish. I wouldn't mind being up there around the same time of some of you next season...plan er out...I want to go solo so share the boat and you have a free guide haha. I cook pretty cook shore lunch nothing fancy but it works.

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher