New Shimano Rig... Line recommendations?

danklegrand

Hi guys,

Finally bit the bullet and upgraded my spinning outfit! I ended up with a new Shimano Sahara 2500FE and a Shimano Clarus 6'-6" Medium Fast "Worm and Jig"

I'm a weekend mulit-species fisherman on a budget so I was looking for a quality "all-around" combo without breaking the bank. It seems as you reach the higher end of the gear lineup, the term "all around" starts to fade.... However, this is a HUGE upgrade for me!

I mainly plan to use this outfit for chasing bass with soft plastics and jigging for walleye, so I'm planning to keep the line fairly light for "finesse".

My thought is spooling with 8lb Trilene XL Mono.

I know the line debate has a lot to do with personal preference and type of presentation. I have a bad habit of running too heavy line for fear of breaking off, however I'm trying to concentrate of finesse and sensitivity.

I appreciate any opinions and advice.

6lb braid would work just fine.

I like/use 8/30 power Pro braid.Some claim it doesn't work on spinning reels very good,but I'm 3 years plus on my spinning unit with zero issues!Plus the added benefit of no memory is great.

Thanks guys, so that's 2 votes braid right away. I'd assume you'd run a flouro leader with that setup?

If that reel came with 2 spools I'd have one of each. A braid, or superline, on one and the mono on the other. There is a bit of a learning curve with the non-mono type lines but it in the end it is worth it imo. And yes a floro or mono lead would be used.

The lead length, type and pound test can be adjusted to suit a particular situation and presentation.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised at the different opinions in this thread. I suppose personal preference will be the main deciding factor for everyone. :good:

Is anyone else using the Sahara 2500 on a Clarus or a similar setup? Are you happy with it?

If that reel came with 2 spools I'd have one of each. A braid, or superline, on one and the mono on the other. There is a bit of a learning curve with the non-mono type lines but it in the end it is worth it imo. And yes a floro or mono lead would be used.

The lead length, type and pound test can be adjusted to suit a particular situation and presentation.

Just one spool for the new 2500FE... I know. I was kinda disappointed when I opened the box.

You should be able to buy a second one but it's not necessary.

That outfit it fine for what you discribed. The only issue would be if the bass are in cover. One thing you might be concerned about is that this might be the start of a serious tackle accumulation addiction that many of us are afflicted with. :thumbsup_anim:

You should be able to buy a second one but it's not necessary.

That outfit it fine for what you discribed. The only issue would be if the bass are in cover. One thing you might be concerned about is that this might be the start of a serious tackle accumulation addiction that many of us are afflicted with. :thumbsup_anim:

No kidding! I can already foresee this happening in my near future.

I think I'll end up spooling it with the 8lb Trilene XL to get the feel of it and avoid the heavy cover for now - then upgrade to braid later.

Thank-you for all the replies, hope everyone can get out the water and on fish for this long weekend! :D

Edited by SouthPaw

For people that don't haul around 10 rods with them I always suggest spooling with 10lb braid. Here's why, you can fish is as is and it is great for spinnerbaits, etc. around cover OR throw on a 6lb length of fluoro and finesse clear water walleye or smallies. Especially because it's a one spool reel out of the box.

For people that don't haul around 10 rods with them I always suggest spooling with 10lb braid. Here's why, you can fish is as is and it is great for spinnerbaits, etc. around cover OR throw on a 6lb length of fluoro and finesse clear water walleye or smallies. Especially because it's a one spool reel out of the box.

Good advice, as this would add a lot of flexibility - which is what I'm hoping for at this time.

Thank-you.

BINGO!! Plus, don't even bother filling the whole spool with braid. Mono backing, then about 50-60 yards of the braid.

I have two spinning set ups. Both reels are Stradic ci4's and both have 20 pound power pro. I love the sensitiviiy of braid and I fish a lot of thick cover with wacky worms, tubes, weighted worms, and flukes. I even used one of them for jerkbaits for the last two seasons.

I don't currently use a floro leader but when I would fish jerkbaits, I would tie on a 4 or 5 foot leader in about the same pound setting.

It is going to come down to personal preference but for me, of my 7 setups, only 2 don't have braid. Those are my spinnerbait/top water rod (mono because I like the stretch) and a crankbait/jerkbait setup ( floro to get the bait down further and for low visibility)

I also recommend 10lb braid, that is on all of my spinning outfits. Then use floro leaders, 6-10 lb is what I use.

About the 30lb and pulling out of snags, you shouldn't use your reel or rod when pulling a snag. I will "ALWAYS" grab the line, wrap it around my arm a couple times and pull. I've done it up to 50lb braid, usually the hook straightens out before it snaps on that high. :)