Bass spawn done?

captpierre

I posted earlier that with the late spring and early season, the bass could be still spawning at the opener.

Buddy of mine caught one full of eggs on Sat. Had a fishfry and was surprized when he opened her.

too bad. Good thing most are released.

The bass are off their beds here in my area of Lake Erie, saw the last jumper Friday past. Based on water temp I was sure they would still be on the beds. The water was very clear this afternoon and I don't see any. It has been a strange spring. Only saw a few carp last month, they are so thick here they can keep you awake at night with all the commotion. None this year, which is a good thing.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Because of the carp? Not really, I haven't seen a bed abandoned by a male bass here in a long while, none this year. The odd small carp will get too close and the male just hammers them in the side. The rest of the carp are too busy making little carp. The same goes for sheepshead and gar pike when they get too close. I'm not saying this because I read it somewhere, I watch them like they are in an aquarium, counted 17 beds this year out front. Biologists should get into the field a bit more and look for themselves, this invading bass beds from other species is overblown. 5 years ago a group of students from Guelph spent the spring here watching, counting and tagging. They came back the next year to ascertain whether the fish returned to spawn in the same area. They did not. Sorry to hijack this thread.

Those beds dont have much chance anyway.

All the bass we caught last weekend were shallow.

I posted earlier that with the late spring and early season, the bass could be still spawning at the opener.

Buddy of mine caught one full of eggs on Sat. Had a fishfry and was surprized when he opened her.

too bad. Good thing most are released.

same with our group, many fish had eggs, all fish caught in shallow water

If i remember correctly, fish respond more closely to solunar activity than they do water temps. Read this in a Casselman report yeeeaars ago. That being said, if the water temps are not right when the time is, the bass will abort the spawn and females will reabsorb the eggs.

I think its Harrison that mentioned a few times that he believed a record bass would come out of a situation like this. If so, buckle up!!

Because of the carp? Not really, I haven't seen a bed abandoned by a male bass here in a long while, none this year. The odd small carp will get too close and the male just hammers them in the side. The rest of the carp are too busy making little carp. The same goes for sheepshead and gar pike when they get too close. I'm not saying this because I read it somewhere, I watch them like they are in an aquarium, counted 17 beds this year out front. Biologists should get into the field a bit more and look for themselves, this invading bass beds from other species is overblown. 5 years ago a group of students from Guelph spent the spring here watching, counting and tagging. They came back the next year to ascertain whether the fish returned to spawn in the same area. They did not. Sorry to hijack this thread.

Thats all meaningless. You havent been able to watch the fish successfully grow up. The growing season is too short here. If the eggs havent hatched going into june, they will not grow big enough by winter to survive, and if they DO survive, they will expel too much energy in the cold water to get a meal and best case scenario will be lifelong stunted bass, and a terrible cancer to the future gene pool.

Btw, their main offender of the beds in lake erie is gobies.

Edited by Rich

Thats all meaningless. You havent been able to watch the fish successfully grow up. The growing season is too short here. If the eggs havent hatched going into june, they will not grow big enough by winter to survive, and if they DO survive, they will expel too much energy in the cold water to get a meal and best case scenario will be lifelong stunted bass, and a terrible cancer to the future gene pool.

Btw, their main offender of the beds in lake erie is gobies.

I didn't comment on the survivability of late spawn bass, my comment was first aimed at answering the question then giving an opinion on the threat of spawning bed invasion of other fish species. So exactly what is meaningless in your opinion.? As far as I have been told you aren't a biologist either. I was giving observation from first hand experience, not scientific theory or hypothesis. Do you have the data whereby I can study it and draw my own conclusions as to the veracity of it's record and determine where hypothesis and theory overlap? If so I would be interested in looking at it.

I didn't comment on the survivability of late spawn bass, my comment was first aimed at answering the question then giving an opinion on the threat of spawning bed invasion of other fish species. So exactly what is meaningless in your opinion.? As far as I have been told you aren't a biologist either. I was giving observation from first hand experience, not scientific theory or hypothesis. Do you have the data whereby I can study it and draw my own conclusions as to the veracity of it's record and determine where hypothesis and theory overlap? If so I would be interested in looking at it.

Your entire thread was based on the assumption that I assumed carp are for some reason a predator to bass eggs. I have never even heard that theory.

So dont get so hostile about it.

Well the last few days of bass fishing and even opening day I did see a few smaller like 1-2lb bass on their beds !!! Probly males guarding the fry but I did see tons of old beds so it looks like most are all done !!!! The carp are spawning big time splashing all around and stirring up the bays where I was trying to fish !!!!! Spookin all the bass ....but the decent bass that I have caught looked like they were all done and a few still had rub marks on their tails !!!!! The bluegills and panfish are all on their beds as well ..... It was a later spawn thei year for sure .... And lots of frogs along the shoreline so they are eating well .....

You need to lighten up a bit Rich. You read between the lines that aren't there. Relax. If I got hostile I would get the boot here.

Oh boy. Reading between lines? No I've read between lines, that was more of an obvious smack.

If I started spouting off what I read between the lines, people would be attempting to hunt me down. And eventually I'd run out of river to put bodies in.

Lol

I'm relaxed man.