Fishnsled and ccmt's excellent bass opening adventure!

ccmtcanada

Will and I had reserved yesterday to fish....thing is we had no idea whether or not to fish the bass opener or hitting Lake Ontario for some trolling. With the weather shaping up the way it was, both looked very promising! Seeing as we pretty much ignored bass last year, we decided to hit a Kawartha Lake and it turned out to be a great day!

The day started out a little bit cool, but soon we were fishing in shorts and t-shirts. It's been such a cool and wet spring it felt great to simply enjoy summer weather fishing again! On Will's second cast of the day, he hooks into a great largie! He brings it close the boat and then it tail danced a little and got off! He "says" it was at least a five pounder...but hey, without a picture we'll never know...LOL. He did however, boat the first bass of the day...

Pic1_zps9948c0c5.jpg

We fished any and all structure we could find...but I wasn't having a lot of luck for the first hour, so I switched up to my confidence bait...a simple senko and it was the right decision! I landed my PB largie...pulled it away from a stump in about 4 feet of water.

pic2_zpsd7df1bc7.jpg

The numbers weren't crazy, but we consistently pulled out bass...most in the 1 to 2 pound range. Bass fishing for me is usually a tedious exercise with only a few fish caught, so it was great to see some pretty steady action! At one point we had a double header on. Just as Will sets his hook and begins to bring it in, I get a nice hit as well! My fish is on the left...and as you can see is much bigger than his! LOL

pic4_zpsc1b4cde2.jpg

Ok...so maybe I told him to do an arm extension a little on mine...here's his fish by itself....lol

pic3_zpsb40018bd.jpg

In the early afternoon, the heat of the sun was increasing, but the bass bite was decreasing, so we decided to see what else was maybe biting. I put on a big suick and began working that in about 10 feet of water. Soon after I get a hit! Guess what species of fish it was?? Yep...bass...LOL

pic5_zps6a9a0a65.jpg

I then put on my go-to spinner hoping to hook into a small muskie. So of course I caught this....

pic6_zpsaf889d1e.jpg

The bass kept on biting too!

pic7_zps2523fdcb.jpg

Finally, just as we were getting ready to leave, my trusty spinner lands me one of these...

pic8_zpsc71acea4.jpg

Couldn't have asked for a better day out on the water. Always a great time, rain or shine with you Will! Thanks for a great bass opener!! So, where are we fishing next?? LOL

Will... ya kinda got schooled by the Hobbit this time. I mean, ya got some nice bass but Cliff kinda went ape on the overall species count.

Fun times guys!

After fishing the Kawarthas for over 25 years and my knowledge of these waters, it's like I'm guiding him. So do they really count as his fish?? :whistling::P:D

Cliff certainly had a long over do great bass and multi-species day and I salute you! We both did very well but I could only get the bass to look at my baits. Going to go and clear out the local tackle stores of the hot bait that Cliff was using and hope he loses the one he had and can't replace it. :lol: Thanks for doing up the report Cliff and we'll do it again soon! Shall it be more bassin' or some shiny silver fish from the big water?

I guess those big in-land browns and that real nice bow you caught last spring doesn't count either then eh buddy!?!? lol Once again great report guys!!!

After fishing the Kawarthas for over 25 years and my knowledge of these waters, it's like I'm guiding him. So do they really count as his fish?? :whistling::P:D

Cliff certainly had a long over do great bass and multi-species day and I salute you! We both did very well but I could only get the bass to look at my baits. Going to go and clear out the local tackle stores of the hot bait that Cliff was using and hope he loses the one he had and can't replace it. :lol: Thanks for doing up the report Cliff and we'll do it again soon! Shall it be more bassin' or some shiny silver fish from the big water?

I guess those big in-land browns and that real nice bow you caught last spring doesn't count either then eh buddy!?!? lol Once again great report guys!!!

:D It was a guided trip that I paid for and to which the funds went to a great cause. So ya, technically not my fish but I really didn't care. They sure were a treat on the BBQ. :)

Edited by fishnsled

You guys are rocking man. Great report Cliff.

I can see a tag team match,. Misfish and Terry VS ccmt and Fishnsled.. :canadian:

That sounds like fun! We should do that sometime! Right after you teach me how to use that center pin! (Which I haven't even out for steelhead in almost 2 years!)

Whatever! Lol. I picked the lake that day so I think that disqualifies him for being a guide. Lol

LOL!! You're actually 2 for 2 when picking the lakes this year. Might have to change your name to Carnac The Magnificent!!

looks like you had a great day. I was out with a buddy but we couldn't get into much decent fish. just two smallies throughout the day weighing 1.5 and 2lbs. Tons of rock bass tho, they seemed to be EVERYWHERE!

We found lots of rockbass (aka W.G.S.F.), some big ones too, perch and bluegills as well. It was a great day on the water with good numbers, decent size and variety.