Lake Erie

Hey guys!! just wondering how other members are making out on Lake Erie for walleye?? Spent a few evenings trolling, bottom bouncing with crawler harnesses and have been skunked every time out. Just wondering if anyone else has had any luck? I'm fishing 40-50 fow out from pt abino.

Thanks

Bill

I trolled around Crystal for a few hours today but again no luck.

We were in 40 to 50 ft speed was around 2kmh. We dragged a worm rig and near the bottom and various baits in the 20-30 ft range.

It’s been 3 years that I pulled a walleye out of Erie. I have no problem with bass or perch even the odd pike but walleye? If it were not for all the pictures I wouldn’t believe they are in there.

Edited by krixxer

More like 70-80, at least on long point bay. Only successful times were when we marked them thick in 70+ and drifted harnesses through... Its tough to find a calm enough day to do that. Most guys are running dipsys and riggers to get em out there.

Different parts of the lake may vary, I know they are much shallower in the western basin...

keep it in the 20-30 ft range?

It seems a bit early in the year to have to fish deeper than that for walleye. It's been a long time since I fished, and it was restricted mostly to the western basin of Lake Erie for Walleye which supposedly warms faster, but before the 4th of July 30 feet or less was where they were.

I would catch them burning a rattle trap or Sonar in 3 - 6 feet of water searching for smallies near rocky shores of the western erie islands.

A very serious walleye guy that lives here on the north shore won't think about going out for them until the end of July at the earliest. Then it's downriggers and planner boards and occasionally dipsys. And they go deep, 80 feet. I have been told they are in the western basin and migrate to this end in July. Ted says looking for them now is going for a ride in the boat.

The odd Grand River fish can be had this time of year, and when lucky can limit out when everything is perfect. There are definitely walleye in the Grand, catching them is another story. Just this past April I personally saw a container full of 5 pounders at Riverside Marina taken from below the dam at Dunnville that were being relocated to above the dam by a local fish club.