Stripe bass in Ontario

CRAPPIE

Has anyone knows the different between Stripe Bass, Silver Bass and White Bass?

I looked at some fishing show in the State and their Stripe Bass is huge so I think they are 3 different speices. Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks in advance!

We have Striped Bass down here where we live. We have a 27 mile-long man-made lake that has some very large specimens. I am thinking the state record came from that body of water. Quite a few folks I know fish for them - but I never have.

Edited by Rich Clemens

I fish the wild version in the Potomac river and they are the ones that go out to sea to live and spawn in the freshwaters in the spring. They are fished like you do Salmon and are available seasonally in the freshwater. The young of the year can be caught year round and it is the second year that they head out to the oceans to grow up to 40-55 lbs at full maturity.

Art

there are 2 similar looking fish in Ontario. Mainly Great Lakes.

one of them is actually a type of perch. you can see it in their heads.

check MNR fishing regulations

I assume that you are referring to a white perch. From what I understand, despite their name they are a member of the sunfish/bass family; not the perch family. However, they are still a different species than a white bass.

I assume that you are referring to a white perch. From what I understand, despite their name they are a member of the sunfish/bass family; not the perch family. However, they are still a different species than a white bass.

yes, I think you're right. they have different names

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/LetsFish/2ColumnSubPage/STEL02_173166.html

From shore you say? At the mouths of the creeks/rivers?

Sometimes creek mouths, and up larger streams for spawn. Often get them at the base of the Dunnville dam, but we may be late for that now.

Sometimes off the piers while the minnows are running inshore.

In Ontario, we have white bass (aka silver bass), white perch and wipers. White perch look very similar to a yellow perch although they are all silver with no horizontal stripes like a white bass. As far as I know we don't have any striped bass in Ontario.

Wipers are located in Lake Ontario and the Detroit River and are very rare. I have only caught one wiper in my life (as far as I know). Wipers are a cross between a striped bass and white bass. A wiper looks almost identical to a white bass and can be almost impossible to tell the difference. My guess is that most people that catch a wiper think it is a white bass.

We used to catch wipers regularly at the nanticoke outflow.

Knew they were wipers because they averaged about two pounds and went to almost 4 sometimes.

Thats the closest thing we have to stripers in ontario, and I havent seen one in 6 years there.

You can catch stripers on the east coast though, surf fishing in the summer.