Algonquin May 2nd - 7th

mason05

I had the pleasure of heading into the northern interior of Algonquin with the KWP for our annual spring trip. Temperatures were perfect. Between 13 - 16 degrees during the day with clear skies followed by cool nights, 1 -2 degrees with star infested views. Water temps were frigid so safety was a priority at all times.

Here's a typical morning around 7am on our host lake. Dead calm...

gallery_292_41_29889.jpg

Our meat boats anxiously awaiting their return to water...

gallery_292_41_78891.jpg

Friday morning I went out for an early morning troll with my bud Satan. We were looping back after running our typical troll route and Satan offered to paddle giving me a chance to cast around. Second cast to a nice pocket off shore resulted in my first laker. 20" x 38" estimated weight 19lbs. This big fella instantly earned me the trophy for this year...

gallery_292_41_87029.jpg

Back at camp times were good and looking up I pondered how the mighty pine manages to climb so high considering it's growing out of a rock island. I must mention that winter was rather harsh on the park this year as we witnessed countless monster trees ripped from the ground, root ball and all by gusty winds. Some of the area has changed drastically since last year...

gallery_292_41_171843.jpg

As I mentioned nights were cool which was a bonus for keeping a small amount of perishable food fresh all week. Sleeping was made easy by simply driving some of this into your boiler...

gallery_292_41_31882.jpg

A typical KWP lodge meeting around the fire...

gallery_292_41_100362.jpg

We ventured to a new lake this year and upon arrival found dozens of helgamites swimming around shore. Cleary we needed to catch some as there was no doubt those specks were feeding on these little critters. Once we launched I quickly noticed tons of oxygen bubbles rising to the surface. This lake was gin clear and so rich in oxygen I knew this was too good to be true. A couple of laps trolling the perimeter produced this...

gallery_292_41_90741.jpg

gallery_292_41_113185.jpg

Regretfully our time was up and another spring opener is in the bag. I had a blast this year and can't wait to return next spring or hopefully this fall if we can get the KWP together for another journey. Before our departure I snapped one last photo of our view for a week. Makes me realize how small we are here as there are truly bigger things at work...

gallery_292_41_41116.jpg

Corn Nug

Edited by Corn Nug

Man I love these Algonquin reports, it really makes me want to get out and do this. Someday I have to give it a try. Thanks for the report. :clapping:

As I was reading I was thinking the exact same thing...

Written well, sounds like you had a great time, not to mention the fish! WOW.

Cheers,

Jen

Wow, beautiful pics! Has to be one of the prettiest places in Ontario. Looks like you guys had a great time! You're right - when you really look around you realize how small we all are in the big picture...Thanks for sharing. :)

Brando, Welcome, and Congrats on post #1. Hope the whole posting hurdle wasn't too tuff fer ya.

Allus enjoy critical posts from newbies to the board. We hope you enjoy your stay, however brief it may be (no laws broken, myob, etc.)

All the best elsewhere. C yA.

Just think, you coulda been a contender. Ask Stella.