Swapping my trolling motor

Rizzo

If you have the opportunity to get a new motor i suggest the Minnkota terrova with i-Pilot.....ABSOLUTELY AWESOME and by what you describe you want from a trolling motor would suit you to a T.

The 'spot lock' alone is worth the price, and the newer ones will link directly to a Hummingbird fish finder( wish they had gone with Lowrance) and follow the contours of your GPS map!

.....and follow the contours of your GPS map!

Not in Canada they won't, no Lakemaster coverage for us just yet :) Although I'm sure we'll get them in the future.. I agree with you on spot-lock, I just picked up a Terrova + HB 898c HD SI, the Goto waypoint, follow route, etc all controllable from the Humminbird is absolutely awesome!

Not in Canada they won't, no Lakemaster coverage for us just yet :) Although I'm sure we'll get them in the future.. I agree with you on spot-lock, I just picked up a Terrova + HB 898c HD SI, the Goto waypoint, follow route, etc all controllable from the Humminbird is absolutely awesome!

good to know....thanks for putting that right.

Rizzo, I can comment with a degree of certainty here because I have a MotorGuide 55 lb. 24 V on my 19.5 Starcraft. It was what the boat came with used. It has a foot controlled wireless. I can't remember exactly what boat you just got from the guys on Hester St. (good people there) but mine sure is useless. It's woefully underpowered and that boat becomes a sail when any degree of wind is present. Do not downgrade to a MotorGuide. Get as high a thrust you can budget for. I found myself holding the 3 pound foot control in my hands trying to get the thing to work more times than not. Somewhat difficult to fish doing that to say the least.

If it did work I would tap the pedal and look at my watch to see what day the thing would do what I asked of it. The next thing I know I'm knee deep into the Lilly pads.

As Al Pacino said when playing wise guy Lefty Ruggierio, " MotorGuide? fergid abat it."

I call it my hood ornament, can't use it because it drives me bonkers. My heart tells me to go out and upgrade to something I can use without pissing me off, my brain and budget says it's not until I get a new GPS or a paper route.

This is true. The pedal on the terrova is waterproof while the pedal on the power drive is not so it tends to short out more often. My dad has a power drive and the motor itself is fine but the stow deploy mechanism absolutely sucks compared to the terrova.

Yeah, one thing I love about my Terrova is how easy it is to deploy/stow. I also like that it shuts down once it's stowed properly.. Even if you step on the pedal the motor won't turn on..

Edited by BillM

I am amazed that more people are not stating the need to go bigger. I think u bought a bigger boat for st Clair right? If so, the55lb will be hugely underpowered!!!!

I would go minn Kota and at least 70 lb thrust. I have v2 and the pedal is easy to use but I have had one fail which cost me 100$.

Come on everyone - don't let this guy waste an opportunity to get a tm that will work when it is not perfectly calm.

Landry

Oh I absolutely agree a 55 would be too small but it will get the job done in most circumstances. Heavy chop though and it will be useless. He just didn't ask if he should upgrade the size and so I didn't comment.

For what he wants to do, the w55 sounds like it will do it and will be fine at it about 90% o the time so I really didn't think of saying anything.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm not too worried about the size. My last boat had even a smaller motor and it was fine for how I wanted to use it. For me, it was more about a low maintenance trolling motor, not one that you constantly had to be rockering a foot pedal. Sounds like the w55 will fit that bill.

I have the W45 and it works pretty well for me on my 16' Legend - but my Legend is pretty light. I get 2.5mph on full speed when it is calm out. But as others have mentioned, in wind and big chop you will probably want more juice. I have had zero issues with the wireless foot pedal - batteries in it last forever - and love the fact that I can use it anywhere in the boat. My legend has a pretty small casting deck on the front, and the fact that there is no cables to eat up that space is a bonus too. I want to buy the handheld remote for it but it is pretty pricey - $70 I think. I got a great deal on the unit - think I paid $350 on sale at LeBaron a few years ago - can't complain for that price!

Pete