Best dropshot hooks?

I like the gamakatsu split/drop shot hooks. I use a swivel above it to reduce line twist.

x2.

Those and the Owner Down Shot Offset hooks are excellent.

I have no experience with the VMC spinshots, but I would probably want to try the Gamakatsu version first (one less knot).

As for weight shape, it depends on the terrain. For very rocky terrain with lots of crevices, cylindrical weights work better for me because they will snag a little less.

I usually use the Gamakatsu drop shot hooks, never really used a swivel, just use the standard palomar and with a clip pencil weight at the bottom. I did get two of those VMC spinshot hooks to try out when I received my May 2013 Mystery Tackle Box subscription. Will have to try them out. (I guess maybe I don't have that much line twist problem, because I use a Baitcaster for my drop shots..I used a MH/XF Cumara 6'8" - with a Curado 50E, loaded with 8lb floroclear.)

I do a lot of drop shotting and i am not a fan of the spin shots at all. I prefer to use a mustad octopus hook. The vmc hooks I find are heavy and add extra bulk. I don't really have much of a problem with line twist. I use braid and a floor leader.

Yes I use braid as well and a flouro leader too !!! But I don't mind trying a new product so if they work great that's good if not oh well I still have all my other back ups as well !!!! I thought maybe in the strong current of the Ottawa river it might help a bit .... So that's yet to be determined

For finesse applications I prefer Gamakatsu Splitshot/Dropshot hooks and Gamakatsu Wide Gap Finesse hooks.

I have heard good things about VMC Spin Shot hooks.

For most finesse presentations I use the cylindrical weights. I purchased a Do-it mold and pour my own weights.

Dropshotting isn't always about a finesse presentation. It is a bait delivery system that can be used anywhere.

Drop

Edited by DropShot'r

I use the VMC Spinshot hooks for three reasons. First, much less line twist than tying direct with a palomar knot. Second, snags are inevitable and retying takes time so I use a 2 or 4 lb drop line. Using a less than half the weight drop line below your main line means only breaking off below your hook. Saves baits and hooks too. And remember you dont need to tie a good knot on the drop line. Tie something like a clinch with two wraps only. Third, the gammy version of the Spinshot is stupid expensive.

Owner 1/0 Mosquito hooks for me. Liked the needle point hook point as well as the relatively thick wire hook in case I need to get the bait and fish out of structure quickly.

Owner 2/0 Down Shot is my second choice. Sharp cutting point hook point with minimal effort to set the hook. Not as strong fishing around thicker vegetation though.

I always use a paloma knot and fish a cylindrical sinker 95% of the time. The sinker shape give me good bottom contact and is relatively snag-free the way I work the drop-shot.