Bowmount Minn Kota wiring questions

muskymatt

I upgraded from a motorguide 55 to the Minn Kota 80 with Ipilot and was concerned about the circuit breaker and toggle on/off switch wiring requirements

My questions:

1) My old wiring is 10 guage, the new motor calls for 8. Is it imperative that I upgrade?

2) The circuit breaker and toggle I have are 50amp, the MK calls for 60amp. I called a marina and asked if they had the 60 and the guy said the 50 will do, as in, keep the old one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Hold on a minute,

I would not say your wiring is fine at all. It might be but there are calculations for this.

It depends on how far a span you are going from your batteries to your TM. I did almost the exact same swap last year and I had to upgrade from 8 gauge to 6 ( Motorguide 46 to minn kota 80w/ ipilot)

If you go on minnkota's website there is a chart on it that can help you out. If the voltage drop is more than 1 volt over the distance you are running, your TM will not work properly (if at all) so the correct wire size is important.

If you are not running more than 20 feet of wire, 8awg is fine. I had to run 24 feet so I upgraded just to be safe to 6awg. I honestly think 10 awg will be pushing it and you will be jumping your breaker or blowing your fuse every time you turn that thing on.

As for using a 50 amp instead of a 60, there shouldn't be a problem other than it tripping all of the time if the wires get too hot. In your case, again if you are using 10awg, this will more than likely happen often so I would consider at least upgrading the wiring. If you throw a 60 amp into a 10 awg wiring system, I would be worried that the wires would get way too hot and start a fire. If you throw the 8awg in and continue to use the 50, the worst thing that will happen is that it will trip on you some times.

I found the chart in the FAQ's here.

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/General/What_gauge_wire_and_fuse_is_needed_for_my_motor_/

I cannot remember where I found the calculations but for me unless I was running less than 15 feet of wiring, my voltage drop was going to be over 1 volt.

I am hoping this helps you out a bit and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Adam

I upgraded from a motorguide 55 to the Minn Kota 80 with Ipilot and was concerned about the circuit breaker and toggle on/off switch wiring requirements

My questions:

1) My old wiring is 10 guage, the new motor calls for 8. Is it imperative that I upgrade?

2) The circuit breaker and toggle I have are 50amp, the MK calls for 60amp. I called a marina and asked if they had the 60 and the guy said the 50 will do, as in, keep the old one.

Thanks

I think your 10 awg was a tad thin for the old motor to be honest. It may not have caused any obvious issues but probably resulted in some measurable issues i.e. voltage drop.

My Terrova 101 called for 8 awg as well but I upgraded to 2 awg because I have about an 18' run of cable.

Your 50amp breaker should be fine. I'd rather go small breaker than large off the bat. If you have problems with a 50amp, the circuit is telling you you have problems elswhere.

I'd run bigger wire myself as well. I have 4 awg On my 55pd, and its less than 20ft. Wire size makes a big difference. Just because it works, doesn't mean your getting everything out of your motor.

S.

Hold on a minute,

I would not say your wiring is fine at all. It might be but there are calculations for this.

It depends on how far a span you are going from your batteries to your TM. I did almost the exact same swap last year and I had to upgrade from 8 gauge to 6 ( Motorguide 46 to minn kota 80w/ ipilot)

If you go on minnkota's website there is a chart on it that can help you out. If the voltage drop is more than 1 volt over the distance you are running, your TM will not work properly (if at all) so the correct wire size is important.

If you are not running more than 20 feet of wire, 8awg is fine. I had to run 24 feet so I upgraded just to be safe to 6awg. I honestly think 10 awg will be pushing it and you will be jumping your breaker or blowing your fuse every time you turn that thing on.

As for using a 50 amp instead of a 60, there shouldn't be a problem other than it tripping all of the time if the wires get too hot. In your case, again if you are using 10awg, this will more than likely happen often so I would consider at least upgrading the wiring. If you throw a 60 amp into a 10 awg wiring system, I would be worried that the wires would get way too hot and start a fire. If you throw the 8awg in and continue to use the 50, the worst thing that will happen is that it will trip on you some times.

I found the chart in the FAQ's here.

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/General/What_gauge_wire_and_fuse_is_needed_for_my_motor_/

I cannot remember where I found the calculations but for me unless I was running less than 15 feet of wiring, my voltage drop was going to be over 1 volt.

I am hoping this helps you out a bit and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Adam

The distance from my TM to the batteries is less than 4 feet. So I'm hoping I'll be fine.

Just going out for the big test, fingers crossed lol

With 4 feet to run, I wouldn't think you will have a problem with 8awg. The cable comin out of the TM to my plug is 10 awg (normal for the 80 pound) so having a little extra of 10awg won't be a huge issue.

I love the terrova and wish I would have switched over sooner. I have a bass tracker 190 tx and the 46 pro series try out on there is diffident if you have it full tilt on a calm day with no waves. Other than that, you are basically sol. I don't know what they were thinking putting that small of a motor on a boat that big.

The ipilot itself is an awesome toy. I have last years model which has the ability to save 6 tracks and 6 waypoints. An awesome feature but the new one is even better that can follow edges if hooked up to a humminbird fish finder.

My favourite feature is actually spot lock. I use it when fishing for perch or dropshotting for bass. it really helps stay in the spot and keep your presentation vertical. I believe you will love your new toy. Keep us posted as to what you think.

Also glad to see it was a simple install for you. It took me almost 2 days because I had to rip the boat apart and get parts here and there.

Good luck and happy Fishing!!!!

Adam

My questions:

Thanks

I did the exact same upgrade and was fine with the wiring and the circuit breaker. In fact, I tried to find a 60AM circuit breaker but couldn't. No issues with the 50.

I ran 6 gauge wire, and a 50 amp breaker. Larger the wire

less resistance and more ability to draw full amp.

I did a ton of research before wiring mine and minnnkota

even suggests 6 gauge.

His system is now pulling half the amperage as it did being 12v. There's no need to run new wire especially when there's 4ft between the motor and the batteries.

I did the exact same upgrade and was fine with the wiring and the circuit breaker. In fact, I tried to find a 60AM circuit breaker but couldn't. No issues with the 50.

The 60 amp model is MKR 19. I think I had to order mine in from my local store but I got it in. It was pretty pricey but I wanted to make sure I ordered all of the right stuff. The terrova isn't exactly a cheap unit and I wanted to ensure I had all of the right stuff.

If you follow the guidelines from minnkota, 10 to 20 feet requires 8awg so yeah for around 4 feet I would be happy with 8awg and seeing as he upgraded, he won't have any issues.

It's only a matter of time before we will be able to follow contours so at least he has the unit that can do it so when we do get the charts, he will be able to do it.

If the motor calls for a 60 amp breaker and 6 gauge wire, I'd go with their recommendation.
Regardless of the distance between, the wire isn't capable of flowing enough amperage to supply the motor properly.

It may work, but not to capability and there is a risk of burning wire.

Not real keen on fire on a boat myself.

Edited by Bernie

So you have 10 still on about a foot of the 4 foot span? Won't the heat concentrate there then? I'd at least go 8 on all of it not on just 3 ft of it. At full speed with a low battery is when I hear most heat buildup happens. Battery booster cables are pretty economical to cut up and use vs buying the wire and methinks are either 6 or 8 if memory serves. Really nice and expensive TM so I wouldn't cheap out getting power to it.

Edited by cisco

Considering how expensive these motors are

why would cheap out on the wiring.

I wired my Alaskan myself so I would know it was done right.

Every connection was crimped and soldered then heat shrunk. I used

good quality marine grade 6 gauge for my TM and onboard charger.

Same with my electronics I added a marine grade fuse panel and

wired GPS and sounder off of that. Everything is fuse protected and I bet

I have no issues for the life of the boat.

That's just me I'm fussy hehe!

Edited by RangerGuy

I don't understand why you'd cheap out on 5ft of wire either. Sure, it will work, and seem a lot better than the old one, but for the price of 5ft of good wire, I'd be doing it right.

If something is worth doing, its worth doing right!!

S.

yes not an issue till greater load on motor

in weeds or low battery wire are not sufficient

melted wiring sucks..i know ftom 1st hand experience!!!

go with the factory specs at the very least

even melted my plug

upgraged it as well...used 220v 4 prong twist lock plug...motor runs awesome now

I don't understand why you'd cheap out on 5ft of wire either. Sure, it will work, and seem a lot better than the old one, but for the price of 5ft of good wire, I'd be doing it right.

If something is worth doing, its worth doing right!!

S.

I had bought the wire last year before I picked up the TM, it worked awesome today but for the price, and piece of mind I may just redo it.

Can't use follow the contour in Canada, the Lakemaster chip doesn't have any Canadian coverage.

don't want to hijack the thread too much...I'm in the process of upgrading everything this year, this is the response I received from minn kota

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately LakeMaster does not currently have lake map chips for Canada. This is something they are currently working on and should be available soon. The i-Pilot Link will function without the chip, but you will need the map chip to be able to follow a contour. It is in the works.

Thanks,

Kelly