Backwoods Lake Trout May 2013

4x4bassin

I have to start out and say there is nothing like that first trip into the bush come spring . So many sights , sounds and smells in the bush come springtime I just love being out there ! As well all the planning/dreaming over the last couple months have finally come together .

Our travel day started early from our meeting place in Barrie without a glitch and we all headed north 3 hours to our little parking lot in the bush trailering our atv's and gear . The trail into the lake was some what dry but the usual rock crawling is always the challenge especially on the way in with our quads completely loaded to the max . We keep our boats at the lake cached away so no trailering boats (once was enough)

The trip on the trail is a long , slow ride with us covering 12km of trail in a little over an hour . Once at the lake it was time to setup tents and tarps as well cut a mess of wood , then we enjoyed a couple laughs about our journey in over some rums

This would be my home for a couple days , nothing like waterfront real estate in the middle of nowhere

P5160236_zps8ea8ae90.jpg

We started the next day "fairly" early . This lake is a great jigging lake but once I turned on the lowrance I found out that the water was only 51 degrees I knew that the trout would be scattered and in the top 20 feet so we started trolling the shallow areas around the deep basins . The fish were active for our whole trip and trolling was the ticket in the morning and evening with jigging being the way to go come the afternoon .

Here are a couple fish pictures I took , didn't take too many because these guys are really hard to hang on to for a picture .

P5180238_zps7be361ae.jpg

P5180239_zps79e6c1ce.jpg

P5180240_zps62e0e099.jpg

The lake trout in this particular lake do not grow very big (mostly bug eaters) but they sure make up for it with there fight . The average size on our trip was around 3-4lbs .

We always have one fish fry on a trip and these guys are good cooked in some butter over a fire with some lemon

This laker was the chosen one

P5180241_zps290ac69b.jpg

Just before hitting the pan

P5180243_zps7ad64b47.jpg

The trip was a great one with good times and great fishing had by all . The blackflies were some what non existent which was a real plus as well .

The lures of choice for me was a 1oz white bucktail jig and a silver/red Williams with a fly streamer trailering it attached by a 12" piece of flouro. The other guys had good luck with a silver/copper Sutton spoon trolled. Best depths for trolling seemed to be 25-35' and getting on and off the throttle a bit seemed to be the ticket . Jigging depths of 40-60' worked well but trolling was the way to go this weekend . Jigging will be better once the water warms up and they gather in the basins , just in time for my next trip !

Here are my setups for the weekend

P5190248_zps66d3c856.jpg

P5190252_zpsbb97ed81.jpg

I have to mention Christopher K of our OFC family for making me my lake trout streamers , they were top quality and looked great as well they caught fish . On the last morning I caught all my lakers on CK's streamers . I think my friends will be ordering some for next spring . If anyone is intrested in getting some flies/streamers I would not hesitate in recommending Christopher for the task . Thanks again CK :good:

Here is a picture of the flies CK made me minus one that I lost on a nice laker

P5190254_zps26b30031.jpg

Hope you enjoyed and I will be going back to this spot in the summer for some deep water lake trout and smallies

Cheers

Dave

Now that is a good spring trip! Good call stashing a boat..sure makes it easier doesn't it? The flesh on those fish looks amazing!

I can vouch for CK making good quality stuff. I ordered some marabou jigs and they really look like quality gear. Now I need to try them in the water asap.