Whats the law in NY state, alcohol in vehicle? NF

Old Ironmaker

I am heading down to upper NY state on May 16th for a weekend trip with family from North Tonawanda NY. I always pick up a crock of Crown at duty free. Even though I have been crossing the ditch for 59 years it just hit me I may be breaking the law. Here's the situation. I tow the boat and don't want to pull back the cover to put the bottle in it for fear it might be smashed around by the time I get to the lake. I usually put it behind the back seat of the pickup. I know in Ontario it must be out of the reach of driver and passengers so I put it behind the rear seat. This will be the first haul with my new Silverado and the crew cabs rear seat doesn't fold forward. I will have to put it under the seat, or unsnap the cover of the boat and put it in a storage box that I don't want to do.

I imagine the question is appropriate for Ontario as well if I store a bottle under the back seat instead of taking the risk of breaking it throwing it into the box.

If I get pulled over by a trooper will I be cited for alcohol within reach? I've asked both Uncle and cousin in NT and they don't know or don't care. just as long as I bring one.

Any law enforcement folks here?

Thanks in advance.

If it was me I'd just wrap the bottle in a towel and put it in the boat where it's easily accessible if need be. Only takes 30 seconds to hop up on the boat fender and undo a couple clips to get the bottle if need be and it eliminates any worries or hassle with having it in the truck.

I always believed that if the bottle is unopened you're OK. Gosh, I do it all the time......taking a bottle of wine to a friends house for dinner. I will ask my daughter, who happens to be in law enforcement.

I’m not sure about NY; but here I believe it is open alcohol readily available to the drive or passengers. So a bottle of rye with its seal intact should be OK Same goes for a case of beer, if the case’s case has not been open; it is fine for it to be in the passenger’s compartment.

Going down to our trailer (Turkey Point) there’s always a RIDE set up along the way somewhere and I always seem to find them. I been asked and checked whether that bottle or case of beer sitting on the back seat has been opened; when they see that it has not been they send me on my way?

Dan.

Pretty sure that if it's not opened you are fine. That's why in my young and crazy years the case of brew was on the back seat. We just opened it from the bottom. So it looked like an unopened case!!

I was going to admit to that as well; but then chickened out. :angel:

Dan.

If it is sealed it is fine to have inside of the vehicle even if it is in arms reach. If the seal is broken then no matter where it is in the vehicle it is ticketed as open container and you will be given a sobriety test. Fail the sobriety test and you have Driving while intoxicated. That is go to jail and car/boat is impounded.

Art

If it was me I'd just wrap the bottle in a towel and put it in the boat where it's easily accessible if need be. Only takes 30 seconds to hop up on the boat fender and undo a couple clips to get the bottle if need be and it eliminates any worries or hassle with having it in the truck.

That's the best thing I believe. Man I can be lazy sometimes. If it's in the boat there can't be a problem. Just need to wrap her up and treat her gently.

Thanks all.