Cleaning oil spill.... NF from car seat

jedimaster

Well, I guess this is kind of fishing related as it happened whil on a camping trip. :) someone who shall remain nameless spilled a good amount of cooking oil onto one of the seats. I thought I got a fair bit of it up but it has been sreading up the seat. Today I removed the offending seat and I took the covers off(oh joy).... Now I have the foam that has soaked up the oil. Anyway to get it out? I think I may just have to accept it and cover it in plastic before I put the clean sovers back on.

I am only planning on doing this once, if it comes through again, I'll just buy a new rear bench seat. I have been running hot water through it with dawn dish soap but it still feel oily, I don't think I am going to be able to get it all out.

Put liquid Tide on it with a paint brush and set for 10 minutes. Blot with paper towels repeat twice. If it is still present then pour oil absorbing granulates (available at auto parts store) on it and let sit overnight. Final thought is to encapsulate it with clear polyurethane spray but beware it will attack certain types of foam so test on the bottom area first.

Art

Dish soap, in a Dish soap squeez bottle. 50% soap 50% boiling water. squirt on area and scrub with stiff bristle brush ( I use one of those finger nail brush types or other larger ) then take shop vac to wet area, Repeat 10 times. This is how I treat vomit in the car and on the couch in the house. kids eh.

Oh, to leave a lasting fresh smell I use 50% liquid laundry fabric softner and 50% hot water, and do the same on the final 'pass'.

The exhaust coming out of your shop vac will never smell better!

Entropy