converting trailer to swing tongue

Steve

I have a friend at work who just purchased a new rig from Port Colborne marine and is looking to have the trailer converted to a swing tongue.

anyone have that done to their trailer and could personally recommend a shop?

thanks,

Steve

seller doesn't offer that service.

buyer, as well as myself, like to pay for such services, from qualified professionals....that way if there are any issues relating to towing, there is a pathway to potential recourse.

i was just hoping to find someone who has used a trailer shop, or similar, who has done this type of work.

thanks all ;)

That's the nicest kit I've seen Sebastian... where'd you get it, it looks like people wanna know!

.. remember, anyone wanting to do this... if you have surge brakes you'll have to adapt the hydraulic line for a flex hose.

Edited by irishfield

I just purchased a complete package (boat motor and trailer) from Bay City Marine in Hamilton. They installed a Fulton kit (as shown) as part of my purchase.

Rigged and ready to go out the door.

Also listed in Cabelas.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boating/Boating-Trailer-Accessories/Trailer-Couplers-Locks%7C/pc/104794380/c/104781780/sc/104642280/Bolt-On-Fold-Away8482-Hinge-Kits/701826.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fboating-boating-trailer-accessories-trailer-couplers-locks%2F_%2FN-1100656%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104642280%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMM%253Bcat104781780&WTz_l=SBC%3BMM%3Bcat104781780%3Bcat104642280

I have a friend at work who just purchased a new rig from Port Colborne marine and is looking to have the trailer converted to a swing tongue.

anyone have that done to their trailer and could personally recommend a shop?

thanks,

Steve

Edited by kwikfish

What defines a qualified shop? I installed my own Fulton kit, same as Sebastion. No shop monkey could do a better job! Its pretty easy. Not doing it yourself for fear of insurance reasons is kinda like not changing your own oil cause you think it'll somehow affect your warranty.

Perhaps neither of the gentlemen have the skills to do the job, that could also be a factor. I am very mechanically inclined, however if you asked me to nail 2 boards together, I could just barely pull it off! The man is looking for shop suggestions, not DIY advice. OP, sorry I don't have info, but if it where myself looking, I would call marinas in my area who specialize in sales and service until I found one willing to do the install!

What defines a qualified shop? I installed my own Fulton kit, same as Sebastion. No shop monkey could do a better job! Its pretty easy. Not doing it yourself for fear of insurance reasons is kinda like not changing your own oil cause you think it'll somehow affect your warranty.

Spend a few years in Risk Management / Insurance (as Steve mentioned he and his freind are) and the terms negligence, due diligence, qualified, expert etc all take on a deeper meaning in the choices we make, especially if you ever entertain any activity in some of the jurisidictions where lawsuits are a served for almost anything unplanned / unfortunate that happens in life. Remember the lady who sued MacDonalds because she spilled coffee on herself and said it was hot and it burned her? She won. Now imagine a part failied on your self installed trailer and it caused an accident. Slim chance, admittedly, but if a qualified shop installed it, at least that legal avenue is closed.

Do you not think that a manufacturer (Fulton in this case) doesn't do their homework on "negligence, due diligence, qualified, expert, etc".

If the risks were great, the product wouldn't be released to the general public.

If installation was was such that a qualified expert was required, again, it would not be released to the general public.

Spend a few years in Risk Management / Insurance (as Steve mentioned he and his freind are) and the terms negligence, due diligence, qualified, expert etc all take on a deeper meaning in the choices we make, especially if you ever entertain any activity in some of the jurisidictions where lawsuits are a served for almost anything unplanned / unfortunate that happens in life. Remember the lady who sued MacDonalds because she spilled coffee on herself and said it was hot and it burned her? She won. Now imagine a part failied on your self installed trailer and it caused an accident. Slim chance, admittedly, but if a qualified shop installed it, at least that legal avenue is closed.

Wouldn't one's auto insurance policy cover you in the event of a misfortunate accident caused by the mis-installation of the adapter - should it get to that?

Then again, it's a pretty straight forward install and like anything else, if you follow the instructions, you'll be fine. I did mine a few years ago and it was surprisingly easy with the right tools. It required a good drill bit, and something that will cut through the metal tongue straight and smooth.

I can't remember the name but a few years ago there was a recall on one of those after market swing hitch thingy, the problem is that they are made out of cast iron and some of them were breaking/cracking, I am sure you can find that in google somewhere,

The reason I asked for the trailer make is because Shorelsnder has an actual front section with swing tongue, it's a welded heavy duty hinge and an easy exchange, I paid $150 for a straight exchange at the local marina.

"Do you not think that a manufacturer (Fulton in this case) doesn't do their homework on "negligence, due diligence, qualified, expert, etc".

If the risks were great, the product wouldn't be released to the general public. If installation was was such that a qualified expert was required, again, it would not be released to the general public."

Many many errors in the above statement.

I'll call around some trailer shops for help / advice.

Do you not think that a manufacturer (Fulton in this case) doesn't do their homework on "negligence, due diligence, qualified, expert, etc".

If the risks were great, the product wouldn't be released to the general public.

If installation was was such that a qualified expert was required, again, it would not be released to the general public.

Actually, no. Here take this test: Google " Product Lialbility Lawsuits"

Then tell me if your answer is the same.

I guarantee you will discover many every day items and medications you or a family member have heard of (used, driven, imbibed) that were subsequently found to be deficient in some form or other when a lawyer got a hold of it. Due diligence and negligence are nooses whose scope has become so far reaching in the legal system that, in the hands of a "super lawyer" (again - google it) can bring down both the mighty and the meek. You'll find examples ranging from Tasers http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aYJitFRQLpZk to vioxx, to as I mentioned, MacDonalds and coffee.

A decade or two ago (OK, maybe more :whistling: ) there was this really cool product called a cigarette that was promoted as being super cool and had no effect on your physical health.

Red dye #7.

Agent Orange.

Asbestos.....

anyway I digress, sorry.

The OP asked for links to locations that would perform the work, not Holmes on trailers.

Anyone that has changed a tire, fixed a toilet or even wired anything on their boat is not a "professional." Freak accidents do happen but to not fix something on your own because of some fear is crazy.

Half of the services/products today are made by 10 year old "professionals" in China. The quality speaks for itself.

I did the trailer tongue last year at the age of 23. Towed it around numerous times with no issues. I also learned how to wire gadgets and add new additions on the boat by asking for help on here, google and youtube. It's unbelievable how much information is on the web. You learn a lot by doing it yourself. You also save some cash. If you want to do something yourself then do it. If not, then hire someone. Simple as that.

Anyone that has changed a tire, fixed a toilet or even wired anything on their boat is not a "professional." Freak accidents do happen but to not fix something on your own because of some fear is crazy.

Half of the services/products today are made by 10 year old "professionals" in China. The quality speaks for itself.

I did the trailer tongue last year at the age of 23. Towed it around numerous times with no issues. I also learned how to wire gadgets and add new additions on the boat by asking for help on here, google and youtube. It's unbelievable how much information is on the web. You learn a lot by doing it yourself. You also save some cash. If you want to do something yourself then do it. If not, then hire someone. Simple as that.

Agreed,but you must do it right!!