Haliburton ice out lakers and some other pics

chris.brock

It's still pretty wintery in cottage country, some pretty good snow squalls, lots of ice on the lakes and snow in the bush, the maple sap was still running well this weekend

100_2262_zps0191bf00.jpg

There was a little open water where Lutterworth Creek dumps into Deep Bay. I went for a little paddle, with the fishing rod, it felt great to be back on the soft water even though most of the lake is still ice covered.

100_2266_zpsae972e14.jpg

Looking the other way.

100_2267_zps2f2c94cb.jpg

I didn't really care about catching anything, but managed to jig up 2 lakers, 1 in the slot, 1 under, both released

100_2263_zpsc5aaf62f.jpg

100_2268_zpsc2159d62.jpg

100_2265_zps2e93459e.jpg

Stopped by the Talbot on the way home, didn't see anything except 2 giants washed up on the shore

100_2269_zpseed7a5a1.jpg

Edited by chris.brock

Nice report. Actually fishing is the best especially when catching.

When you could fish the Talbot R. by Gamebridge the last week of March was best.

Good stuff!

Edited by ehg

Nice fish and photos. I'm not brave enough to get into a canoe in those conditions unless I have to.

The "Haliburton Gold" strain is native to a few lakes in the Haliburton Forest. I also recall the local fish hatchery raising and stocking some, don't recall where. They are supposedly smaller, more prolific and "gold". Never caught one. The lake trout where I fish look like two distinct strains but I don't know for sure. Either light gray and relatively longer or a darker almost black and shorter and squat.

Hey Chris,

I am going on a fishing trip in Hali (Bancroft) area for season opener, think it will ice out by then?

Which opener? Haliburton brookies/ lakers are open. I'm assuming you're going into AP for the opener? I'm pretty sure the ice won't be out. I'll be up there again this weekend and update you though.

Edited by chris.brock

Haliburton Gold are in Halls as well

yeah, I did abit of reading on them, the strain is stocked in Halls, Esson etc., and native to Redstone, and McDonald and Clear in the Hal. Forest

they stocked Gull for a little while (not sure what strain) but don't anymore, maybe there was some Haliburton gold genes introduced to the population