Introducing Sasha

motv8tr

Well I mentioned the other day that I was adding to my family, well I picked her up on Tuesday. So far no fights between the kids, but I think it will take longer than I origionally thought for her to be comfortable. She does not like to be in the house at all. Yesterday i didn't push it and let her stay in the garage, but left the door to the house open, in hopes she would come in when all was quiet...no such luck.

This afternoon I decided to push the issue a bit and brought her in the front door while the boys were out back, thinking she just didn't like the two steps up from the garage. I had to pull on her a bit, but once she got her two fron paws in, she came in on her own. I held onto her leash for a bit and let her sniff around, but as soon as I took the leash off, out to the garage she ran. A couple of hours later I brought her in from the garage, then closed the door before I took her leash off. She sniffed around a bit, but didn't explore too much...remember she's never been in a house before and is not sure of her footing on the strange floor. I kept her in for about a half hour in hopes she would settle down some, but she didn't, so I let her back out into the garage. I will keep doing this and hopefully she'll relax and come in on her own in a couple of days.

On the bright side, she comes when she's called...sort of, which is way more than I expected, and seems to respond to her new name. She can be very affectionate, which I did not expect, and she seems to come to me when nervous of something. All in all it's going well I'd say.

gallery_46_17_31705.jpg

gallery_46_17_29695.jpg

Maureen

Well I get to baby sit the neighbours Burmese mountain dog about once a month and even though the houses are identical she is still confused about things.The owner says that she is out of sorts for a couple of days after she goes home.So just be PATIENT and let the dogs mix,from what I have seen the other two they will be glad of another member of the family.

vance

nice akbash! You might find it will take awhile for her to come in the house and when she does it may only be to sleep they are outside dogs and when she goes out watch her I hope your yard is fenced well because these dogs like to run forever and when they get out forget about trying to catch her she will come back when shes ready.I actually know someone who is going to have puppies soon for sale best to probably get them as pups. Very loyal and dogs.

Hi Maureen:

She's a keeper for sure. :) As for patience. Don't push too fast. NEVER get impatient and you will be rewarded. It has taken 7 months to finally have my feral kitten really feel relaxed in the house. She doesn't even want outside. It may take a while, but she will likely want to follow the other guys in.

Pam

Congradulations! Nice looking dog. Does she like to go after balls and toys? You could try using the same logic as you do for kennel training a pup.

Here's a few suggestions that might help.

I would get her excited for a toy then throw the toy thru the door so she has to go in to the house and get it.

Make sure you always feed her in the house atleast for a couple months.

Drop little treats all around the house where she's going to find them. Kind trick her into walking around the house

a few times on her own.

I'm sure she'll warm up before ya know it.