Possible new to me Boat! Would like your thoughts and opinions

tb4me

So today my neighbour up on the Trent River calls me and tells me he is too old and is selling everything..He then asks me if I wanted his boat.. I have always admired his boat but he would never part with it..It has been sitting and neglected for 3 years now..Again too old.. The boat is a 17 foot 1991 Smoker Craft Fazer..It has a 1991 Johnson VRO 70 hp motor on it..It comes with a shore lander trailer with a fold away hitch. Anyway, I had the boat in the water last summer..I could get it to run no problem. As soon as I went to gas it up it died and what appeared to have flooded. I'm thinking it most likely needs the carbs rebuilt..4 years ago the racoons destroyed the cover and most of the seats so he had them all replaced.. Anyway from what I could tell the floors were almost rotted out and the internal fuel tank is cracked, he is using a portable outboard tank for it now.. I will also have to buy 3 new battery's 2 for the troller (24 volt motor guide) and one for the starter.. I was wondering on an approximate value on it the way it sits? He is asking 2 grand for it as is.. Do you think its worth it?
If I bought I would be prepared to put another 1500 to 2 thousand into it.I'm hoping once i do that ill have a good reliable turn key boat for many years to come, Hopefully for under 4 thousand.. Im handy and can do all work (but carb and tune-up) work myself.. Also id love input on this boat or motor..Anyone have any experiences good or bad?
Any thoughts or opinions from my OFC family? Thanks in advance!

Edited by tb4me

Better get a compression check on the motor. Those VROs' (variable ratio oiling system) were notorious for not working properly and depriving the middle cylinder (3 cylinder motors) of proper oiling. This was particularly bad with the 60Hp and 70HP. I would like to know if the VRO has been disconnected, which is probable and preferrable, and how many times the motor has been re-built.

Your looking at a money pit. I would definately have the VRO motor looked over well, and I would have it disconnected and run mix if that's not already been done. Some of them hung on, but lots of them went for a dump and took the motor with them! As for the boat? Old smokers are pretty tight vessels! A buddy of mine has a phazer from approx the same vintage and it is still kicking along nicely. Just by way of example for horsepower though, his is 18 feet and powered by a 115. You might be way underpowered with a 40, they are heavy boats! As for the rest of it, well, I'd chew on it, sure you can do the work, and update everything. You may hit your targeted budget or it may run you a fair bit more. If its worth it to you, and your not looking for turnkey, well why not! Everyone likes a project! Just make sure there is no hull damage and the outboard is solid first. Further, look up the specs from smoker and see what their minimum horsepower recommendation was for that hull!

that smokercraft is a tank, older ones were verytough built, and don't worry to much about the motor that should be a vro2 system overall pretty reliable just do a compression check and as long as the low oil alarm works go for it,

carpet and marine grade plywood i would guess at 500 for the boat fuel tank got to make some calls for that one

overall there is steering cables to look at and helm bearings, other electrical- lights pumps ect but from the sounds of it flash 800 bones at him i wouldn't pay 2g for it

You have to think about the transon because it could be on it's way out with rot. Motor is not worth anything, it could be a part thing that you may not find. If you want a fixer upper for a couple hundred and something to do in your pass time. Wouldn't pay anymore than that.

The full throttle issue with the outboard could be the fuel line. i had this problem and also helped others with this simple fix. Also from experience, used motors are a gamble, but you know the guy well and 1991 aint all that old at all.

Did he maintain it prior to the last 3 years? sounds like a deal for 1000.. i paid more for less when i got my aluminum and the outboard blew up on me twice. The outboard i currently run is a johnson that was outside for 15 years sans maintenance, didnt take much to get it going but how long will it last?

i'll echo what others have said, under powered and i don't think there's a lot of resale value in that motor if you want to upgrade

how has the boat been stored, protected from the rain and snow? if the coons got to it i'd bet the mice have been nesting in it, not a good scene

once you remove the floor(carefully to use a template for the new floor) it'll snowball into running new wiring, maybe pouring new foam, etc, etc...all the little things add up in a hurry...and this time of year eat away at your free time that you could be fishing

if your total budget is 4K have you looked to see what that could get you?

Wow thanks to all for the awesome replies! So here's the latest info.. I called and the motor isn't a 1991 its 1986..yikes..I think he is high on his price.. Mind you after searching Kijiji I have yet to find anything in that price range for that quality of a boat. The trailer is worth $1500 alone with new bearings installed. Its a solid well built boat..I'm going up in a couple weeks to do a compression test on the motor..This will reflect my offering price..Realistically speaking, if the motor is punched I think ill opt out unless i can find a deal on a good used motor.
Now as far as the work goes I honestly don't mind turning wrecks into something special..I also still have my 14 footer with the 9.9 four stroke to fish from. If I do decide to get this project boat I may just sell the other to get the repairs done quicker..So with the 2 g cash in hand and another possible 2 grand for my other boat that's the budget. I'm excited but I'm also trying to be careful..I just want to take the kids tubing and be able to take the whole family out for the day to tour the Trent river..Lift locks suck in a 14 footer

the 1986 40 has probaly been getting mixed for sometime , but check it out theres lots of those left around here purring like kittens.

in whatever you decide sure you can get all kinds of advice and help here in your project :good:

the 1986 40 has probaly been getting mixed for sometime , but check it out theres lots of those left around here purring like kittens.

in whatever you decide sure you can get all kinds of advice and help here in your project :good:

Ok I just talked to him again and as it turns out its a 1986 Johnson VRO 70 hp motor not a 40.. The boat has been stored uncovered in the community rec hall every winter..

Tb,

For any used boat I always do a leak test. Put a hose into the bilge and turn it on with the float disconnected if there is one. Look below, most all used aluminum boats leak a touch but I still check.

I was looking at a 2002 Lund a few years back and the Marina was asking big bucks, the boat looked mint. They were more then happy to let me do that. He was honestly shocked when the thing had a crack stem to stern and port to starboard. They took it in on a trade, they were pissed. It cost them 4K to repair, something like more than 50 labour hours, would have cost me double most likely.

if you can get it for $1000.00 I probably would if I could put in the sweat equity. The rotten subfloor isn't much to get back to solid depending on your diy skills.

Everybody says the trailers are worth xyz$, usually not, not much of a market for larger boat trailers without the boat. Smaller trailers yes.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Better get a compression check on the motor. Those VROs' (variable ratio oiling system) were notorious for not working properly and depriving the middle cylinder (3 cylinder motors) of proper oiling. This was particularly bad with the 60Hp and 70HP. I would like to know if the VRO has been disconnected, which is probable and preferrable, and how many times the motor has been re-built.

Exactly, i have a 60 HP Johnson that starved of oil and took out the middle cyl, due to a malfunctioning VRO pump, OMC would not cover it after it was determined by a OMC marina that that was indeep what blew the motor, anyways i had it rebuilt, and had the pump removed completely and premix my own oil (Amsoil HP Injector), and the motor has never ran better, even when new, motor is a 1993, blew up in 1995 with less then 100 hours on it, and still shows 130 psi in each cylinder to this day touch wood. You would have a very good boat for 4000.00 or even 6000.00 if you look today and price the same style boat, its a great deal for you, and been handy i would not pass that up, once you ask the questions that the others have mentioned, also take the shroud off, and check the head bolts, if theres still the black paint on the bolts, it likely hasnt been apart or rebuilt, unless they took the time to re-paint the head bolts, but if he answers you questions correctly, its a great deal and should be good for many years to come, just remove the VRO and premix 50:1 or if its still in place add oil to your gas tank as well as running the VRO. to avoid a 1500.00 repair build and that was in 1995