crappie rod and reel

musky_hunter

Looking at a dedicated combo for crappie and panfish. What do you guys use? I am looking at ul/l 6'-7' rod paired with a 1000 series reel.

I will only use this combo a handful of times before bass season so not looking to spend too much $. The cap is around $200 for a combo.

Do you have a boat? If so you probably want to go with at least a 9' rod, unless it's a canoe in which case 7' is good.

EDIT: I like the longer rods when using slip floats cause you can get more line off the water, and then it doesn't cause as much disturbance on the surface. For shoreline I like 6'6" to 7'

Edited by Christopher k

You should check out the Fenwick Elite Tech River Runner series of rods. They come in light and ultralight up to 7'6 in length and are 2 piece. Price is around $100 at Sail. They are design for trout but make excellent pan-fish rods. The 6'8 or 7'2UL should be good for you. Goodluck.

I recently picked up a St. Croix panfish series UL rod 6' from SAIL for $88. It was $110. Very light and sensitive rod, I like it alot. I currently have a Rapala Type R on it, a small reel. But been looking at the Shimano Symetre 500. I seen it on sale at SAIL for $75, which is a steal! Regardless I am very happy with this rod. If you see it pick it up then you'll know what I mean,

Lots of options out there. I'm building a 5'10" UL for shore fishing crappie right now. Couldn't find exactly what I needed off the shelf, this is a feather light and super fast little stick that is light enough to make the fight interesting.

I like a 7' light action rod, remember you are going to be casting very light tackle and there are going to be times where you need to get some distance or you'll spook the school. I picked up a rod and reel combo at CTC last year for $39.00 and it has landed plenty of crappie! You don't need to spend hundreds of $ to get something to do the job.

I use a St.Croix Premier Light action with a 1000 series Symetre. Love it. I guess those of you using ultralights must catch small crappie. :) haha I can't imagine an ultralight. Have caught at least a thousand crappie with this combo. I use 4 or 5 pound mono for line.

FTW Bass pro shops has what you want a decent price...

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Crappie-Maxx-Pro-Series-Crappie-Rods/product/10210596/

I have the 8.5ft and the 10.5ft either will cast a mile and are super sensitive. I use them for perch and cast 1oz weights all day long so they hold up. I also use the 8.5ft for floating small trout streams. Caught everything from a perch barely bigger than a minnow to a 9lb trout, about 300 sheephead and numerous 20lb plus carp (why they eat the minnows when I am perch fishing I have no idea)

For a reel I like the small Pfleuger President.