Definitely Fishing

Fisherman

Great - just what that fishery needed.

Things like this continue to boggle my mind.

Oh but don't worry, its OK:

"In March, April, October and November, “commercial fishers will make best efforts” not to set commercial nets within a one-kilometre radius of the mouths of Bothwell Creek, Colpoys Creek, Waterton Creek, Keefers Creek and Gleason Brook, to protect spawning salmon and rainbow trout."

Two problems here.

1. "Best Efforts" - are you kidding me? We have technology for that.

2. You'll notice February is missing from that 1 km protection. Expect to see nets strung across the mouth of all these creeks.

I bet the people that have been pouring their heart and soul (and cash) into stocking efforts are jumping for joy on this one.

Edited by kemper

I guess it's important to note that with the harvest rates in the recreational fishery in that area, its probably 6 one and half dozen the other.

Keep up crap like this and we're going to have to go the US route and just dump 10 billion stockies in every year. Oh wait, we can't afford that.

Humans - raping and pillaging natural resources since the beginning of time

I saw the exact same thing first hand for 2 years on Vancouver Island. And on the docks the fisheries officers just watched. I am biting my tongue and will shut up as I really appreciate this board and being a member, but my son and I will continue to scoop up others garbage while on a lake. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

ah, yes, Van island, nothing like driving through Port Alberni and finding the dumpsters full of sockeye...glad somebody is supporting their family but i'll never buy candied salmon from a roadside stand again

the MNR is in a tough spot, they need to find compromise, it seems to teeter totter from one side to the other without ever balancing...colpoys bay is a special spot for me, we never left the cottage out of sight and always managed a couple of rainbows or a chinook for the bbq with very little effort, it would be sad to see that change

I saw the exact same thing first hand for 2 years on Vancouver Island. And on the docks the fisheries officers just watched. I am biting my tongue and will shut up as I really appreciate this board and being a member, but my son and I will continue to scoop up others garbage while on a lake. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

I was going to stay out of this one and keep my comments to myself but just couldn't resist . I have been fishing that part of G Bay for nearly 40 years and have seen it go from some world class trout waters to well below average and kinda back up again and hearing this news is really frustrating to me . We should be trying to help this troubled fishery and with this new agreement it sure is not the case :wallbash:

I agree the MNR is in a real bind hear but there has to be a way for everyone to respect that area and come up with some real world solutions , if not the fish stocks will crash like we have not seen before !

I somewhat understand not taking away natural resource rights given... I don't agree... But I understand....

But giving more rights... Thats ludacris...

It's seams that the majority spends years to take 1 step foreword... Then the minority takes everyone 2 steps back in an instant...

Just glad my First Nations friends don't abuse the rights given to them... They follow the same rules I do out of respect for the fishery...

People to contact:This would be a Start any others Tourism maybe
This was passed on to some of our Club & we need to make a running list of Minister's Critic's & House Leaders to send mass e-mails out at a time the Governments are looking at making deals to not have an election we should make sure the NDP, PC & Liberals know how we feel, who's good at writing a letter that we can all send to as many politicians as possible:
SON AGREEMENT: SEND COMMENTS TO

MNR C/O
MARY FERGUSON
ISSUES MANAGEMENT STRATEGIC LIASON ADVISOR
FISH & WILDLIFE SERVICES
[email protected]
705-755 - 2481

Hon Kathleen O. Wynne, MPP (Don Valley West)
Premier
[email protected]

Hon David Orazietti Sault Ste. Marie
[email protected]
Ministry of Natural Resources
Suite 6630, Suite 6630, 6th Floor, Whitney Block
99 Wellesle 99 Wellesley Street West
Toronto, OnOntario M7A 1W3
416-314-2301
416-325-5316

Joe Dickson Ajax--Pickering
[email protected]
Parliamentary Assistant to Ministry of Natural Resources
Room 6521, 6th Floor, Whitney Block
99 Wellesley Street West
Toronto, Ontario M7A 1W3

Hon Jeff Leal Peterborough
Ministry of Rural Affairs
11th Floor
77 Grenville Street
Toronto, Ontario M7A 1B3
416-326-3074
416-326-3083

Andrea Horwath, MPP (Hamilton Centre)
Leader, New Democratic Party of Ontario
[email protected]

Sarah Campbell, MPP (Kenora--Rainy River)
Critic, Natural Res
[email protected]rces

Tim Hudak, MPP (Niagara West--Glanbrook)
Leader, Official Opposition
[email protected]

Laurie Scott, MPP (Haliburton--Kawartha Lakes--Brock)
Critic, Natural Resources
[email protected]