Suzuki Outboards...Opinions? and Polar Boats

Rattletrap2

I was looking at a boat with Suzuki 50 HP 4 stroke on the week-end at the show.

Any opinions on this make and model?

One thing I noticed, is that there are not as many dealers for these motors as other brands. I would like a Yamaha, but the boat I like comes with the Suzuki from dude's in Waubashene. The Suzuki is on a Starcraft.

What about Polar Boats? Anyone have any experience or opinions? I've never really heard of them, but it looks decent enough. The Polar Aluminium I looked at had a Yamaha engine.

Thanks

Suzukis are top notch motors. I have never had one because there were no dealers in my area. Times have changed there are about 5 dealers in a 100 mile radius now. I wouldn't hesitate on buying one. And their prices are better than yammy and honda to boot. Hey does anyone remember Suzukis old 150 V-6 EFI with two spark plugs per cylinder? That was cool. I think they were first out with the EFI in the early 80's.

I have a 2002 Suzuki DF40 which is the same base engine, and have no regrets in the purchase. Parts (I've only ever needed replacement filters and drain plug gaskets) have been easy since Suzuki was building the Johnson branded engines of the same size in 2002. Also, more dealers are now available as fish_fishburn said. This engine always starts, is super quiet and is nice on the fuel consumption.

I was looking at a boat with Suzuki 50 HP 4 stroke on the week-end at the show.

Any opinions on this make and model?

One thing I noticed, is that there are not as many dealers for these motors as other brands. I would like a Yamaha, but the boat I like comes with the Suzuki from dude's in Waubashene. The Suzuki is on a Starcraft.

What about Polar Boats? Anyone have any experience or opinions? I've never really heard of them, but it looks decent enough. The Polar Aluminium I looked at had a Yamaha engine.

Thanks

I think I was looking at the same boat.

I have a 2011 df140 I bought new last year (new boat). So far I'm very happy. Quiet, good on gas, runs smooth.

I needed the 20 hour break-in service and had trouble finding a dealer to do the work since the local GTA dealers aren't set up with enough shop space to service the bigger motors. You shouldn't have that problem for the 50hp but I recommend you call your local dealers to check if they will service your motor.

I did ultimately get the work done at a dealer 10 minutes from my home (they're mostly set up to service Suzuki cars and motorcycles). Super nice guys who agreed to work on the boat outside and made sure to lock it up in their garage overnight. I don't think that getting parts would be a problem but I would guess that outboard parts are mostly special order.

I had an 89 25hp tiller suzie. Great motor, possibly the best one I ever owned. The guy I sold it to still uses it and she runs like a top. It would blow away most 25hp tilers, and took a beating in the duck marshes. I kinda regret selling it.

S.

we had a 1992 40hp 2 stroke it was a awesome motor ran great until I sold the boat then the guy who had it was a tool and messed it up I got it back fixed it plug wire was all it needed until I sold it again and the next guy busted it up good I guess he waqs slamming big waves on LSC and cracked something inside but it was no fault of the motor just the tool that bought my boat.