Plumbing Question (NF)

Joey

In our new place, the bathtub has a stopper in the tub drain that has a button in the middle that you push down make the plug seal to fill the bath tub, and then push again to release the water. When you push to release, the stopper part comes up a bit, but stays in the drain. The water is not draining very fast and pools up while showering. I tried to unscrew the plug, but it doesn't seem to unscrew.

Anyone have one of these and if so, how do I unscrew it and/or get the water to drain faster.

Thanks

Joey

I,ll be right over to fix yer plumbing J. :w00t::devil:

Can you pry the stop up with a screw driver? How does it feel,the knob you pull/push? Does it seem the linkage is loose.

Another sad reality and this is yucky,urine may be a cause here aswell. Read where it crystalizes and screws up the drain and this style of plug.

We have that kind Joey....went to Can Tire and picked up this long thin plastic thing (it's maybe 18 inches long)...had barbs on it. We put it down the drain and pulled....out came a bunch of really gross hair and slime....after that it worked fine.

Joey,

That "button" in the centre of the plug unscrews. If it is like ours it has a fairly long thread. Once you get it out the chrome plug should come out with it. Now you can clean out the hair and other crud that is probably causing it to drain slowly.

John...

Wow, thanks for the fast responses guys. I'll try to unscrew it tonight then, if its as long as you say John, I guess I have to keep unscrewing for longer.

Urine B??? ewwwwwwwwww.

And double ewwww on the hair and stuff Cliff. Think I'll get Paul to do it.

Thanks again,

Joey

Unscrew it counter clockwise. If you find it hard, then try using a pilar or visegrip. When it is finally remove, replace it with one of those plastic plug. You will need to know the size and then get one of those drain that has holes to catch the loose hair.

After you get the stopper out give all that you can a cleaning out, needle nose pliers to get the visible guck and hair, and pick up one of those palstic barbed things at Can. Tire that ccmtcanada mentioned. They do work and can get the junk out that a plunger doesn't dislodge.

Another sad reality and this is yucky,urine may be a cause here aswell. Read where it crystalizes and screws up the drain and this style of plug.

That's one of the bad things about renting!... It could have been just one.... or a whole family of tub urinators that lived there before you... and they coulda had a whole slew of tub urinator friends too... may have had parties with that theme!

Ya just never know...

That's one of the bad things about renting!... It could have been just one.... or a whole family of tub urinators that lived there before you... and they coulda had a whole slew of tub urinator friends too... may have had parties with that theme!

Ya just never know...

Ohhh, now there's a thought,..................so glad you brought that up Glen :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Actually, the tub and fittings are all brand new, that's why I think its the plug. I've put drano down it for now and I'll try that, then if it doesn't work, I'll try to unscrew it. I'll take a pic for you Joe and post it here if neither of those works for me.

Thanks all.

Joey

Okay, I got it. I was turning clockwise. Forgot the old "lefty loosy, righty tighty" motto.

It came off and then I had to get a standard screwdriver for the internal nut thingy, then got the fitting off and it had a piece of foam, a piece of hard plastic, and yes, eeeewwwyyyy, hair. But problem solved and it drains like a charm now.

Thanks again everyone. Your tips and advice worked out once again at good ole OFC :clapping::thumbsup_anim:

Joey

Dont forget to bill someone 85 bux for a service call.Good job,now back in the cooler for you!

Joe

Oh almost forget,aren't you are supposed to be in chat right about now?

Edited by Daplumma