Making Jerky - dehydrator or low temp smoker?

Burtess

I want to start making jerky.

Are you making your jerky with a food dehydrator or a low temperature smoker (like a Little Chief)?

As I understand I would probably not be able to use a Little Chief in the winter due to the temp control problems (not enough power).

Of the available dehydrators, which do you use or what is the best? Read of Excaliber or Nesco's etc...

Thanks!

Burt :)

A real easy way to get going is with the Hi Mountain Jerky Kit. I bought one last fall and have given it a real workout doing a total of about 25 lbs of jerky so far. I do a pound or two at a time and it does not last around my house for any more than a few days

I'm looking at maybe going with the dehydrator but I tell you now, you can make some awesome jerky right in your oven with this system.

Available at Bass Pro and Princess Auto and both carry all the spice cure kits

http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=66365&hl=jerky

Edited by Fang

I like using a smoker. The problem is that when it gets very cold out, it's not easy to keep a constant temperature.

A dehydrator is good for jerky because you can control your temps very easily. A dehydrator will also give you the possibility of making fruits, snacks and camp food as well. What I don't like about dehydrators is the constant sound of them working in the house...also, as good as some foods smell for short periods of time, the constant smell of beef jerky in the home gets to be a bit much. A dehydrator belongs in the garage. :)

I'll be hitting the smoker again as soon as the temps rise a little....April or so.

I prefer the dehydrator method. Easier to monitor as you can run it indoors. If the cuts of meat are uneven, some pieces will be finished before others so its handy to be able to check on them.

I've been through a couple over the last 20+ years. First was an american harvest which was great as it had temperature settings.

My current one is a nesco that took a bit of getting used to as the temperature control is essentially a vent at the top that restricts or allows hot air to escape.

I've used them to make jerky out of Beef, venison, moose, rabbit, grouse and trout.

I used a dehydrator, mine came with directions on how to make your own seasonings to soak the meat in. It was great until the price of beef went up.

You don't use good cuts of meat for jerky Paul. At least I don't.

I use both use the dehydrator when i use burger and use a electric smoker for whole meat i dont have any trouble using it in the low temps just try and keep it out of the wind the hi mountain spice is great you can get it at princess auto or tse . In fact may make up 4 or 5 pounds this weekend

Best way to make jerky is with a dehydrator. the best unit (still inexpensive) is one that has a fan motor in side, this helps with the drying of the meat, you will still have to rotate the trays though, leaving the midle in the middle, and top to bottom. what are you using for a marinade?

liquid smoke and a dehydrator may be easier, but nothing beats the flavor of real smoke. we've taken meat from the same batches and finished some in the smoker, some in the dehydrator, and the rest in the oven. All 3 had a different flavor in the end each time (did this 3-4 different times), so it really comes down to personal preference.

some foil lined 1" insulation solves the issue of using the smoker in the winter. small hot plates can be picked up pretty cheap to add some extra heat too.

anyone have a line on a free old metal interior fridge? i'll give you a well seasoned true north smoker (smaller with 3 racks) and/or some smoked meat for hookin it up :D

Thanks for all the experiences and info. I think I will go the dehydrator route so I can do this all year. I am looking at the Excalibur dehydrators, they seem to have a good review online.

Anyone use one of these?

• 2 months later...

So I ordered a Nesco American Harvest FD-80 square dehydrator from Costco.ca. Should get it early next week.

Been searching on line for marinade recipies and there are plenty!!

Can anyone lead me in the right direction of what you have tried and have found to be good? Also is all liquid smoke the same or is one brand better than the others?

I picked up a dehydrator at the outlet mall while passing through barrie. Cost me like $30 and I use it a couple of times a month. I've made moose and beef jerky, dried fruit and dried herbs

works like a champ. Should have got one sooner. you really can't get much easier