Could this be the end of plastics?

Luke V.

After some reading and research, there are some manufacures who make biodegradeable baits already. I can not find prices to compare however. They seem to be a special order item.

I am all for biodegradable. If it means more fish will survive, or have a healthier life then thats fine with me. (No i dont support P3TA) but I do like the fish I release to have a better chance of growing bigger!

If it means that the baits that get snagged and broke off esentially dissapear this could be a good thing.

Cost will ultimately be the biggest factor. If someone were to comeup with a product that wasnt plastic based, fiar priced and was biodegradable in a few weeks i think it would be a winner

I'd like to see them define "biodegradable" it's like nailing jello to the wall. Biodegradable in a few days or a few centuries?

Dan O.

Ps. I remember that article on tossing plastics over board in OOD. Right after that I caught a 4 lb rainbow with a 3" shad body (no jig) in it. The fish seemed to be in distress and frankly it didn't eat or smell properly but I don't waste game so I held my nose and down she went.

New fancy biodegradable plastics... only $25 a bag!

But think of the fish!

In many cases Bill the "agri-based" materials are actually cheaper than their petro based counterparts.

I've worked with several start-up companies that could turn agricultural by-product into baits fairly easily....although I never considered it.

Consider it considered!

I'd like to see them define "biodegradable" it's like nailing jello to the wall. Biodegradable in a few days or a few centuries?

Dan O.

ATSM American Society for Testing and Materials had a standard for Bio-degradable. They have weight:

"that which is capable of undergoing biological decomposition in a compost site such that the material is not visually distinguishable and breaks down into carbon dioxide, water, inorganic compounds and biomass at a rate consistent with known compostable materials."

The problem with that standard was that it included inorganics. The standard got pulled.

So buy all the biodegradable plastics you want but if they don't biodegrade back into the natural food chain they are not alright. May as well pour hormones and motoroil into the water.

Gulp! Alive is all biodegradable - for price reference.

But this is just another example of a politician with an agenda and poor wording which could have major sweeping implications...we've already seen many threads on that topic.

Does "rubber" mean oil based? Does it mean oil and silicone based? Does it mean any soft plastic?

Shouldn't rubber be what is derived from the sap of a rubber tree? By that definition none of the soft plastics will be banned.

Biodegradeable baits need serious upgrades (besides berkley gulp) before they are a viable replacement to regular plastics... Anybody ever use "dr. Juice" back in the day? Crumbled into dust after 1min in the water.

Biodegradable is an overused word. Almost everything is biodegradable at various speeds. We all know that newsprint for example is biodegradable but if you bury a newspaper, after 50 years, you'll still be able to read the headlines. More important than biodegradation would be the toxicity of a product in the water supply.

But hey, it's Saturday morning and I'm probably not thinking straight. :)

Illegal use of reality, 10 yard penalty, automatic first down.

Ha! First good smile of the day! Thanks.

I put newsprint in my composter on a regular basis. It isn't even recognizable after a season.

But yes, biodegradable is a over/miss used term.

That's because you're reading the Sun, you're churning your heap, you're using mostly veggie scraps and perhaps even using an accelerator. :)

Will never happen. Take your rubber plastics that get chewed up and keep them in a bait or pail in your boat then throw them out at home. Yes the odd time the senko get's stolen and you never see it again but keep the plastics out of the lake, bio degradable or not...Can't change plastics in the belly's of the odd fish I guess but what can you do...

imagine the chaos when the ban on Water Gremlin sinkers comes out haha.

Biodegradable is an overused word. Almost everything is biodegradable at various speeds. We all know that newsprint for example is biodegradable but if you bury a newspaper, after 50 years, you'll still be able to read the headlines. More important than biodegradation would be the toxicity of a product in the water supply.

But hey, it's Saturday morning and I'm probably not thinking straight. :)

Off topic but if I store my nightcrawlers in shredded newspaper it turns into dirt in a week..