Spinnerbaits... Closed or Open Eye?? Your preference??

TJQ

67 members have voted

1. 1. Closed or open??

• Closed Eye Connection
    • Open Eye Connection
  2. 2. 1/4 oz or 3/8 oz or 1/2 oz

• 1/4 ounce
    • 3/8 ounce
    • 1/2 ounce

You could be missing a huge amount of fish. Just the blade change speed or stopping is a fish and likely a giant.

Both pike and smallies can hit so light just blows your mind.

I can tie a knots almost as quick as your snap and have way better feel.

Main line makes a bigger difference in sensitivity then the type of connection on the spinnerbait... Closed or open with braid you feel pretty much everything.

You could be missing a huge amount of fish. Just the blade change speed or stopping is a fish and likely a giant.

Both pike and smallies can hit so light just blows your mind.

I can tie a knots almost as quick as your snap and have way better feel.

Definitely true.. when I fish the bay with spinnerbaits the bite is a half second stop of the blades turning..

I just got here and suspect this has been mentioned in the preceding four pages, but as a reformed tackle maker, here goes...

Closed eye Spinnerbaits don't run straight.

The reason is that in order to run straight the hook and the blade-arm need to be aligned

This isn't possible with a closed eye.

If you use leaders/snaps you can keep everything tight with a small piece of surgical tubing, or wrap some thread/braid around the eye, behind your snap and cast away.

Edited by garry2rs

I like closed eye but seems every shop I go into only has the open eye so I just buy new skirts for my old ones.

Using a o-ring,No difference IMO than a closed loop.Tying or clasp, Personal preference,ok. Give it a try and than see how it works.People give fish to much credit as I learned a while ago.Long as the vibration and spinner is working they'l hit it if they want,I think you'll do all right :) .When I buy a spinnerbait,I don't care if it's open or close.

I just got here and suspect this has been mentioned in the preceding four pages, but as a reformed tackle maker, here goes...

Closed eye Spinnerbaits don't run straight.

The reason is that in order to run straight the hook and the blade-arm need to be aligned

This isn't possible with a closed eye

The man knows what he's talking about!!! lol

The man knows what he's talking about!!! lol

Yep. For that one reason, I'll always throw open. I use fluoro and didn't recall the line sliding or getting many tangles. This was with 17lb. Was one of the better lures for me last year

Edited by danbob