turning meat into meat sticks...

ch312

i decided to try out the "slim jim" recipe from rytek kutas' book (bible?) on processing meat.

10 deboned domestic rabbits + pork = 25lbs of goodness :D

this:

meatstick1.jpg

went into:

meatstick2.jpg

6 minutes later it looked like this:

meatstick3.jpg

before stuffing into:

meatstick4.jpg

which resulted in:

meatstick5.jpg

what is the term used for blue thing mounted above the motor? any idea what oil should be used in it to keep heat to a minimum?

roy, it was my first time using this recipe so the only thing i changed was the meat as the recipe calls for beef. seeing as the rabbit is so lean and i didn't add much fat from the pork, i'm actually surprised they didn't turn out dry.

aplumma, the oil in it now is black and almost smells burnt. it's totally leak free, so i won't have any worries about using mobil 1 or something like that to keep the heat down. it was producing some heat which was transferring to the auger in the grinder...no good. it's been getting worse with each use so i'm thinking the oil is pooched.

will mineral oil provide enough lubrication and dissipate heat properly? it's about 1/3 full. is that proper or should i refill with more?

bill, tasty indeed. i'm having trouble limiting my intake :D

Clean and flush out all of the oil with mineral oil available from any drug store. The unit is either over speeding due to the wrong pulley combo or the bearing is shot. It should not get hot enough for you not to be able to do a two second touch on it. The unit should be filled 2/3 full with oil for expansion. The reason not to use petroleum products are food contamination and just a little will taste horrible. As the unit heats up the oil expands and does lose some from the seal on the shaft. The worst that mineral oil will do in large enough quantity is make things "easier" in the bathroom.

Art

I hope that's a SUPER LOW rpm motor on that manual meat grinder - it's intended for use with the handle that came with it only in case it binds up. I've sold many of them and had a couple customers tell me they rigged it up to a motor - I suggested they be in another room when it's running. Of particular note is the casting for the body - it's really not sturdy enough to withstand the pressure of powered use. At minimum it may crack, but we all know what can happen if it fails catastrophically! Meat and metal everywhere!

Michael

Edited by cheaptackle

I hope that's a SUPER LOW rpm motor on that manual meat grinder - it's intended for use with the handle that came with it only in case it binds up. I've sold many of them and had a couple customers tell me they rigged it up to a motor - I suggested they be in another room when it's running. Of particular note is the casting for the body - it's really not sturdy enough to withstand the pressure of powered use. At minimum it may crack, but we all know what can happen if it fails catastrophically! Meat and metal everywhere!

Michael

the blue gear box reduces the speed of the motor to a nice speed for grinding. this unit was put together at least 15 years ago and nothing has been changed since. if it was going to break it would have by now, especially after the meat i've seen it chew up.

the recipe for 10 lbs:

Dried Sausage Sticks

(Slim Jims)

Ingredients for 10 lbs.

2 tsp. Instacure No. 1 ----prague powder #1 aka LEM cure

4 Tbls. paprika

1/3 cup ground mustard

1 tsp. ground black pepper

1 tsp. ground white pepper

1 tsp. ground celery seed

1 Tbls. mace

1 tsp. granulated garlic

5 Tbls. salt

4 1/2 Tbls. powdered dextrose ----aka corn sugar from bulk barn

1 1/2 cups Fermento -----instant buttermilk powder from bulk barn

Meat

Dried sausage sticks are made using a fairly lean type of meat. You may use any kind of cow, bull, or steer meat. The ratio is about 80% lean and 20% fat. Beef chuck is excellent meat for this sausage.

Processing procedure;

Meat is chilled at 30-32 degrees so that it will not smear when being ground through a 3/16" grinder plate. It is then mixed well for about 2 minutes and then stuffed into 22 - 24 mm casings. Desired length is 6"-9". meat is then placed into a smokehouse at 98-110 degree F with cold smoke applied for about 8 hours. If you desire more tang you may hold this temperature for 12 more hours. Smokehouse temperatures are then raised until internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F. Remove from smoker and place in dry room at 50-55 degrees F.

very tasty :D

any idea how to prevent those air pockets? should i have rinsed with water after taking out of the smoker?

How do you stuff? Artificial or hog or sheep casing? Hog is best - you can give it a little stretch before you start to keep it uniform when stuffing..

I've been doing something similar over the years but I don't use sausage tubes. I dry the meat sticks out in a food dehydrator after curing .

http://www.nesco.com/products/Dehydrators/Dehydrators/FD-28JX-Jerky-Xpress-Food-Dehydrator/

This is an awesome way to make great jerky treats without having to fire up a smoker.

DeerHunting077.jpg

I've been doing something similar over the years but I don't use sausage tubes. I dry the meat sticks out in a food dehydrator after curing .

http://www.nesco.com/products/Dehydrators/Dehydrators/FD-28JX-Jerky-Xpress-Food-Dehydrator/

This is an awesome way to make great jerky treats without having to fire up a smoker.

DeerHunting077.jpg

My pop always said,hand cranking grinders give you the best.Time is the best. I can attest to that. That there sir,is some mighty fine ground.

That is mouth watering.

meatstick5.jpg

Edited by Misfish

How do you stuff? Artificial or hog or sheep casing? Hog is best - you can give it a little stretch before you start to keep it uniform when stuffing..

Can you get real casings small enough for pepperettes? I made some deer sausage the other day with hog casings. I used my meat grinder/stuffer attachment for the kitchenaid mixer that Santa brought me. My first time and they were great

Sausage_zps17d730f4.jpg