Snowblower mechanical question

limeyangler

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can offer a diagnosis.

My snowblower has electric start. It makes an electronic whirring sound when i press the button but does not seem to be connecting to the engine....its sounds like something is spinning freely in there but not connected to anything. It will need to warm up a bit before i can turn it over with the pull start.

Hey Simon, We had the same or similar problem with ours when we moved here. The spring was to cold and stiff and not pushing the starter gear down all the way to the flywheel, we had to gently warm the starter with a hair dryer it worked, but were warned not to heat up to quick as it could crack things, all I know is it worked for us. -43 here today. Liked your video, check ours on the weather network, fun isn't it. Sometimes after u use the blower a bit of moisture will freeze in there after the machine cools off.

Hey Simon, We had the same or similar problem with ours when we moved here. The spring was to cold and stiff and not pushing the starter gear down all the way to the flywheel, we had to gently warm the starter with a hair dryer it worked, but were warned not to heat up to quick as it could crack things, all I know is it worked for us. -43 here today. Liked your video, check ours on the weather network, fun isn't it. Sometimes after u use the blower a bit of moisture will freeze in there after the machine cools off.

Also Simon we always spray the starter area with a wd40 or other moisture dispurser which will not leave a gummy residue, JUST make sure the surface is not hot when applying.

x's 2 , if it worked good the last time you used it .Some cold nights here we have the same problem on our 125 horse power tractors , we get the heat gun to the starter and away it go's .....

Edited by Skipper " D "

I've used the electric start once on my Ariens, lol. Even after sitting for the spring, some fresh fuel and it's up and running with one pull.

When I lived in Ontario I only used the electric starter once too Bill.

Now that I live in the far North I would not even be able to get it started without the electric starter. :whistling: