28 Dead, 17 others wounded = 45

tapout

Well I got out to finally scratch an itch I've had for a long time now. All I can say is wow. The perch were so hard to find it reminded me of how hard it is to find a rest stop on the highway when you need to go to the bathroom. Glad the ice wasn't thicker then it was because of all the holes I had to manually drill. Ice was about 5 - 6 inches where ever I drilled. My first 4 hours and about 15+ holes later netted me 5 throw backs all in the 3 - 6 inch range. <_< Oh BTW bring cleats if you go. Ice is smooth and very uneven from the launch to just out pass were the hut village was today. It evened out alot better after that. There were some sections of ice that were so clear that if you let your eyes focus you could see through it and see the bottom. I found a spot with about 10 - 12 fow and pretty much stayed in that general area for the final 3 hours I was fishing. This is where I caught about 2/3rd of my catch. I had to aggressively jig in the beginning to try and attract them in and when some finally did they were dinkish. :glare: I am a site fisherman meaning I like to see my lure / bait if I can. I don't have a hut so i will lay down with my face over the hole to see whats going on. Yes that was me today if anyone saw a guy face down on the ice. :dunno: Its what I do! The ones that were kept were all in the 9 - 10 inch range. A few jumbos came around but weren't interested. Had one or two make half-hearted attempts to snap at the bait but almost always a little dink comes torpedoing in and snatches the bait stripping the hook. :angry: Now add all these little frustrations add up and are the perfect ingredients for some colourful language. :whistling:

All in all it was great to be out even if this was my second worst day ever at Virginia Beach. At least there was minimal wind and it wasn't that cold.

Good luck and good fishing to anyone else that heads out.

Oh BTW the title of this thread is my catch totals for today if you haven't figured it out. :wallbash:

Take care everyone and be safe!

Tony.

45 is a lot better number than ZERO

And that is what I caught sitting at work yesterday.

Lol so at least you got out, and gave a great report. It was appreciated.

I'm with you on the sight fishing. Throwing video game style electronics into perch fishing is kinda like using an automatic jigsaw puzzle builder i think. Lol

You got out and enjoyed the day and brought home a feed of fish. Sounds like a good day to me :thumbsup_anim:

If you really enjoy site fishing the perch as I do...get yourself a portable hut. I sit in there and sight fish all day. The darkness of the hut with the windows closed is perfect for this. I was doing that yesterday at Port Bolster. 26FOW and you could see your lure on bottom as plain as day. It's much more comfortable then laying face down on the ice.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

45 is a lot better number than ZERO

And that is what I caught sitting at work yesterday.

Lol so at least you got out, and gave a great report. It was appreciated.

I'm with you on the sight fishing. Throwing video game style electronics into perch fishing is kinda like using an automatic jigsaw puzzle builder i think. Lol

My friend, you seem to have an unnatural bias against electronics for ice fishing. I have seen several of your posts that took shots at a flasher. I am going to assume you have never fished with one for any length of time. On small farm ponds or tiny reservoirs, perhaps I can see your point. I fish simcoe though, and while anyone can walk to 10 feet of water, throw a jigging rap on and search out a weedbed And proceed to catch whatever is under the hole, it is a whole other ball of wax when fishing a sand flat in 30 feet of water jigging for decent fish, and moving on when the school moves! I surmise you would likely be caught a bit flat footed in this scenario. Everything has its place, even video games! Electronics on bigger/deeper waters can be the difference between boom and bust! Give it a try some time, you may be surprised! It is not always possible to sight fish!

Edited by porkpie

My friend, you seem to have an unnatural bias against electronics for ice fishing. I have seen several of your posts that took shots at a flasher. I am going to assume you have never fished with one for any length of time. On small farm ponds or tiny reservoirs, perhaps I can see your point. I fish simcoe though, and while anyone can walk to 10 feet of water, throw a jigging rap on and search out a weedbed And proceed to catch whatever is under the hole, it is a whole other ball of wax when fishing a sand flat in 30 feet of water jigging for decent fish, and moving on when the school moves! I surmise you would likely be caught a bit flat footed in this scenario. Everything has its place, even video games! Electronics on bigger/deeper waters can be the difference between boom and bust! Give it a try some time, you may be surprised! It is not always possible to sight fish!

He just has a problem with anyone that spend money on anything fishing.

I was on my belly on simcoe before sight fishing whitefish in 12 fow. Had a guy on a sled come racing over to see if I was alright. Soon after we were both bellies to the ice watching the whities cruise around lol.

Now that's funny! LOL!!!!