Fishfinder for ice and boat

spooner_jr

I think I paid about $500 for my Humminbird 565 a few years ago .... went to buy a second transducer this summer so I could have it permanently mounted on the new boat and found that for about $175 I could get the whole unit (Humminbird 570 - (but without the portable ice cover/battery kit) ... great unit IMHO ...

I just got this unit and it is super clear. Has 640 x 640 resolution on it. At 8x zoom I can see the :asshat: on the fish!

BTW, if you are going to buy a fishfinder, find the cheapest price, print it out and go to West Marine and they will price match. But the thing I like about West Marine, is they have the best warranty around. For roughly an extra $60, they will give you an extra 2 years on top of the manufactures warranty. If you have ANY troubles with the unit, you bring it in and they will give you a new right on the spot, no questions asked. If they don't carry that model they will give an equivalent or better. Even in the first year of the manufacturers warranty. Not trying to toot anyone's horn here, but their service is pretty good at West Marine in Barrie.

Rob C

lowrance and hummingbird both kit their units out for the ice. Find either in your price range...make sure its a color TFT screen(black and white you will have probs in cold temps) and get the one that you like best....both brands are excellent fishfinders.

Mine is a Black and white (after much discussion it turns out they use a lot less juice - so the battery runs longer (especially in the cold) ... I take it out regularly at -20 or colder ... and normally get at solid couple days (15 - 20 hrs) on a charge for those little $25 12V gell cells... I take a spare and (try to) keep it warm to swap out if necessary

Oh .. and btw ... I clearly mark both minnows AND a single split shot at 60 feet when on the ice .... I can tell when a fish is coming into the areas even before it registers on the screen because I can literally SEE the minnows get active

Edited by camillj

Mine is a Black and white (after much discussion it turns out they use a lot less juice - so the battery runs longer (especially in the cold) ... I take it out regularly at -20 or colder ... and normally get at solid couple days (15 - 20 hrs) on a charge for those little $25 12V gell cells... I take a spare and (try to) keep it warm to swap out if necessary

Oh .. and btw ... I clearly mark both minnows AND a single split shot at 60 feet when on the ice .... I can tell when a fish is coming into the areas even before it registers on the screen because I can literally SEE the minnows get active

I have an X67c and an X4. The x67c is color.....the x4 black and white. I definitely noticed a slow performance with even the screen looking a bit funny when i had it out in -20....i use it in my iceshack now.

My X67c probably gets 3 or 4 trips before the battery needs charging....12V 7ah SLA.