Next year new boat rigging plans

RangerGuy

So after my first season in my 18' Alaskan Tiller. I am still very much happy with this boat/motor combo.

No buyers remorse :)

Only thing I'm not happy with is I have 1/2 a tank of fuel I never got through DARN 4-strokes LOL! and

I'm not sure whether I should drain it and refill or just top the tank up and add the storage additive.

Anyways, I'm not done riggin her yet, a few of the things I would like to add this spring are:

1) Rod Holders possibly Cisco tracks (anybody with previous experience with these I'd love to hear about them)

- i'm not a big fan of the plactic lund tracks. They do work well but have gotten loose since using them to hold my avery duck blind

2) Kicker motor (still deciding on HP and brand I've heard 4 stroke kickers shake a lot. I'd like a real smooth running/quite kicker motor)

3) Wave Wackers or some other brand

4) Another depthfinder so I can my move my Hummingbird 798 to the bow (this add on will probably be a 2014 add on LOL!)

5) Planner Board mast - not sure which brand to get

6) Remote Spotlight probably a golight

I'm looking for opinions and experiences on manufactures for these kind of add ons.

Any and all opinions welcome :)

Edited by RangerGuy

We've got a Yamaha T8 High Thrust (electric start, power tilt) on our Lund Pro Sport, it doesn't shake anymore then other motors I've had. Combined with a TrollMaster Pro 2 and it's great out on the big lake for salmon/trout.

Edited by BillM

you can often find berts or traxtech tracks and accessories in the classifieds... good way to save $ + Taxes and its all interchangeable

put a mount bracket on your bow for the sonar... when your trolling, can have 2 units at the tiller 1 for Gps 1 for sonar.... that will give you flexibility and a backup if needed 8 or 9.9 hp will be fine for a kicker... i have a 30 hp tiller and wish somedays for a kicker just to relieve my main from the additional hours...

Great input :) keep'r commin ..

We're running a 75hp Yamaha, and don't really need a kicker but I like the idea of having an extra motor..

I really like the idea of a kicker but I'm still not decided because my dogs like to sit in the transom

well and watch when were duck hunting. If I put a kicker I'll have to come up with another plan like

cutting a door in the blind for the dog(s) to mark birds out of etc..

Run a main power cable up front and a junction box for future electronics with fuses and switches that can be tapped into. Install a master cut off in the back of the boat to the line feeding the front. Install a tilt trim switch up front if the motor has that feature. Install lighting with switches down low if you are out after dark. 12 volt cigarette lighter/plug in for accessories. Light in rod locker with door switch. Last but not least a steering wheel. lol

Art

My 2005 Yamaha F90 has over 1000 hrs on it, runs like a dream still...I don't spend a second thinking about how much fuel is inthe tank over the winter, it is in my heated garage though, and I run ethanol treatment year round and make sure there's stabilizer in the tank(and run into the engine) for the winter.

So after my first season in my 18' Alaskan Tiller. I am still very much happy with this boat/motor combo.

No buyers remorse :)

I share that feeling... 150 engine hours on my new ride this year!

Only thing I'm not happy with is I have 1/2 a tank of fuel I never got through DARN 4-strokes LOL! and

I'm not sure whether I should drain it and refill or just top the tank up and add the storage additive.

Just add stabilizer and then top it up.

Anyways, I'm not done riggin her yet, a few of the things I would like to add this spring are:

1) Rod Holders possibly Cisco tracks (anybody with previous experience with these I'd love to hear about them)

- i'm not a big fan of the plactic lund tracks. They do work well but have gotten loose since using them to hold my avery duck blind

I'm a big fan of Bert's track system. I had them on my old boat and my new one came with them from the factory. In my opinion; they have the best downrigger riser/swivel base on the market and the best ratcheting rod holder. I also use the S-17 bolt-on Salty's on adapter plates. I can configure my boat from muskie to salmon in minutes. I'll never be without a track system on a boat!

2) Kicker motor (still deciding on HP and brand I've heard 4 stroke kickers shake a lot. I'd like a real smooth running/quite kicker motor)

You can't go wrong with a T8

3) Wave Wackers or some other brand

4) Another depthfinder so I can my move my Hummingbird 798 to the bow (this add on will probably be a 2014 add on LOL!)

Killer deal on at Cabela's right now... Lowrance HDS 10 GENII for $1600. I have an HDS 8 now because the 10 didn't fit well on the dash. I was thinking of getting another 8 for the bow but at that price I might put a 10 up there.

5) Planner Board mast - not sure which brand to get

I love my Riviera 7' collapsible mast. I don't know what feature I love more; the telescoping mast that allows you to run a 3.5' or 7' or the super strong aluminium reels. I've seen to many cracked plastic reels on other brands. My only regret is that I didn't shell out for the automatic reels.

6) Remote Spotlight probably a golight

I'm looking for opinions and experiences on manufactures for these kind of add ons.

Any and all opinions welcome :)

My 2005 Yamaha F90 has over 1000 hrs on it, runs like a dream still...I don't spend a second thinking about how much fuel is inthe tank over the winter, it is in my heated garage though, and I run ethanol treatment year round and make sure there's stabilizer in the tank(and run into the engine) for the winter.

Hey pt good to hear :-) I'll do the same..Lew does the same

and has no issues either..

I luv the fact that I don't have to fog this motor.

Wish I could store the "Great ship mis-a-lot" in a heated

garage.

Great input SP thanx I'll look at the burts

Edited by RangerGuy

Run a main power cable up front and a junction box for future electronics with fuses and switches that can be tapped into. Install a master cut off in the back of the boat to the line feeding the front. Install a tilt trim switch up front if the motor has that feature. Install lighting with switches down low if you are out after dark. 12 volt cigarette lighter/plug in for accessories. Light in rod locker with door switch. Last but not least a steering wheel. lol

Art

These are some of the improvements I either repaired or added when I restored a Ranger I rebuilt and I have found very useful. The 12 volt plug and the light in the rod rack are things on my to do list. A friend has red led lights running low under the rails for night fishing and it allows you to land fish and walk around the boat without destroying your night vision.Winter is a great time to do the little improvements we all wish we had when it is fishing season.

Art