um.. lost tip ups?

chris f.

So one of my tip ups vanished today.. one min it was there, the next it was gone.. um, anyone else ever have this happen.. needless to say i didn't go over to check why it was gone, and i gathered up the rest of my gear and headed back to the dock... any ideas? :dunno:

Edited by Trent River Fishin'

Yup ... I have watched (ran and dove - but missed) more than once when a big laker has cruised straight through and taken the whole kit and caboudle down the hole ... more than once... they don't always hit 'lightly' :)

how much line are guys spooling on their tip ups? how can a fish take it down the hole when it's free spooling?

I have bells on all my flags, even if I'm not watching I can hear it set off...I fill each spool with dacron, I've got there with the shaft spinning and a big laker or pike on a run, but never had a fish come even close to spooling me

i have been catching big catfish off my dock in the summer so could be that one took it down.. i had no bell on the tip up and it was and old wooden one anyway.. i just got worried the hole was giving way lol.. and no, i haven't gone in with the float suit yet :sarcasm: .. i don't really wanna go too far out so i'll wait for a few warm days and do it near shore i think. pics of the new suit and gear to come.. need to find a usb cable for my camera, dogs ate the other one lol

Not sure what kind of tipups you are using but you need to fit them with spools like this to avoid having it go thru the ice when a big fish strikes

You CAN'T buy those at Walmart or CTC :)

Fixed it for you.

I'll vouch for T.J's tipups! Great for all species.