Float rod

RiverGuy

Roy, how's your rod working in all that snow?

I kid I kid!!

/back to your regular scheduled programming.

Well William, I had a super Supper at my son's house last night and learned from my grand daughter that I'll probably be a great grandfather in mid August. So, I'm not concerned about anyone's "rod".

Sorry about derailing this thread.

One thing you should do with new rods is warm them up a bit.

Quietly start shaking up and down, progress until you are shaking really hard. Get those molecules hoping.

45 years building rods

learn something new every day ( warm up your rod )

get back on your meds

Took my dad out for some chrome fishing on Monday and I broke out a "new" 11.5ft IM8 black Swan company noodle rod, that I purchased 5 yrs or so ago, and had sitting in the closet. I bought it because it was such a deal at the time and keep it in the plastic in case I happened to break another of my rods (haven't had any breaks luckily)... Finally after reading on here a while back that nobody uses noodle rods anymore I decided to use it to see if I could figure out why... noodle rods are passe?

I didn't "warm" it up but I have to say after going 2 for 2 with an 8lb hen and 5lb male in some pretty strong cross current at the end of my favorite pier it didn't lack more than enough power for what I generally catch. BTW didn't get what was wrong with using a noodle rod either, had a blast playing those fish.

Then yesterday I went out fishing with a friend who has an 8ft clarius and who is looking to upgrade to a longer rod in the same series. After checking out his 8ft which has to weigh about 4 to 5 ozs more than the 11.5ft swan I couldn't imagine fishing all day with a longer clunkier clarius, but maybe I am just getting old LOL. Even my crappy old 11.5ft Shakespeare Catera is lighter than the 8ft shimano my friend has...

+ I would definitely go for a streamside as a starter rod over the clarius unless you need the 4pc to fit in the car.

Edited by Canuck2fan

Fish it, if it breaks within the warranty period return it and if it doesn't break keep fishing it. When it does eventually break buy another. When a snag occurs, whether underwater or from the canopy above be sure to pull straight back through the tip guide thus greatly reducing possible rod breakage as well as making sure rod is clear of either vehicle door and tailgate edges. Good luck.

Fishermen are generally not open to suggestion.

They think I've fished/built rods for 45 years I can't learn anything.

The smart ones will pickup a rod that has sat for years and do the little test. I talk to 2 this morning down at the river, both very impressed. They no in steelheading it will help you punch that float out a few ft. So don't try it you might learn something.

+ I would definitely go for a streamside as a starter rod over the clarius unless you need the 4pc to fit in the car.

I have yet to fish with my Streamside but I LOVE the look and feel of it. Oh and the price point I got from Mike (MTBF) @ Gagnon's was great too! :whistling:

Streamside get's my vote too!! Have you seen the new centerpin reel they have too?!?!?!?! :thumbsup_anim:

I like to think of myself as open minded when it come to learning something new about fishing and I did warm the rod up and when I bent it it did not break and I can't wait to give this rod a shot after I get the casting down with it...the okuma I have is 13.6' and its a 3piece rod. And being just a beginner in float fishing I'm open to any and all suggestions that are going to help and make it easier for me my first time out on the river. I know it's going to take time to get used to it and to me that's going to be the challenge and I can't wait to catch my first fish on it..it's easy to let the drag do the work for you on a spinning reel but to be able to fight the fish on a reel with no drag has got me excited. Thanks for all the advice about rods

I like to think of myself as open minded when it come to learning something new about fishing and I did warm the rod up and when I bent it it did not break and I can't wait to give this rod a shot after I get the casting down with it...the okuma I have is 13.6' and its a 3piece rod. And being just a beginner in float fishing I'm open to any and all suggestions that are going to help and make it easier for me my first time out on the river. I know it's going to take time to get used to it and to me that's going to be the challenge and I can't wait to catch my first fish on it..it's easy to let the drag do the work for you on a spinning reel but to be able to fight the fish on a reel with no drag has got me excited. Thanks for all the advice about rods

No worries bud,we are all open minded around here. One time I brought a brand new muskie pole home from the shop and tried to show my wife how strong it was. I ended up with molecules all over the kitchen floor after I tried to warm it up muskie style in front of her :lol:

Thankfully it had a life time warranty on it and I new the fella who sold it to me not more than 20 minutes previously.

Anyhow you go out and let a couple big steelhead warm that Okuma up for ya like it was intended for and make sure to take pictures so you can come back and show all these folks just how its done. Have fun and keep things simple and you'll do fine...

Thanks ChrisK can't wait to get on the river I have yet to catch a Steelhead or Salmon since coming to Canada and i"m looking forward to haveing some of them on the end of the Okuma. I did manage to find a pick of a carp I landed down at Port Credit a couple years ago. And i used it as a profile pick...and keeping it simple is what I like to do best.

Thanks ChrisK can't wait to get on the river I have yet to catch a Steelhead or Salmon since coming to Canada and i"m looking forward to haveing some of them on the end of the Okuma. I did manage to find a pick of a carp I landed down at Port Credit a couple years ago. And i used it as a profile pick...and keeping it simple is what I like to do best.

There is only one thing better than catching your first chrome... and that is CATCHING MORE of them LOL. Every time I break out a new rod or hit the streams for the first time in a while it is just like catching that first fish all over again. I can't understand the people who say they get tired of it.