A moment to pause

spincast

I read Lew's post and it made me pause and think. It is human nature to see the good and the bad in small things as Lew pointed out. We have all said similar things. The post I was about to add to his, but decided instead should stand alone:

"The Good - I finally get the last 5 days when that cursed BB is not on my hip 24/7 in the event something tragic should happpen; I only get 15 of those a year and I cherish each one,

The bad - my Father in law has been given less than 6 weeks, so it will be the last Christmas my kids experience with a G-father (both of my parents are gone).

The good - we will visit and the kids will share time and hopefully memories to last a life time, refreshed for ever by photos we will take. "

There are many here who have their burdens to bear this Holiday Season; my family is by no means alone in the head winds life has presented. May we take a moment to reflect that what really counts - our health, our family and our friends - and the opportunity to share the gift that is this holiday season, is what really counts.

May you and your family enjoy to the fullest the opportunity this break in our hectic life presents.

Good reminder Rick, I will try to focus on the positive this Christmas season as I have much to be thankful for. We have had a few hard dealings this year, but also alot of good too :thumbsup_anim:

You and your family be well and cherish the next 6 weeks with your father in law, then after he passes on, talk about him often!

Crap Chris sorry to hear that. Had to attend attend a visitation this aft for a long time friend. 6 days since he was told he had a year and some experimental drugs. :dunno: My thoughts are with you and your family.

Wayne "he might just surprise you and be a PITA for many months to come, like any good F-in-law would do!!" thanks for the thought -- By that reckoning he has been a stellar F-I-L for 20 + years :) - unfortunately a raft of other conditons combined with the type of cancer means not strong enough for any treatments. Just wait and watch :wallbash:

Thanks for the kind comments all.

Bad: Everyday from the age of 7 to 22 I was put through Trauma that no person should be put through.

Good: Last year I sought treatment for post traumatic stress disorder. Today I can not even possibly tell you how much fishing has helped me (almost) feel like a real person again. It gets lonely on the banks by myself but it is much better then sitting surrounded by four walls reliving every moment during those 15 years.

Spin, I hope you don't mind,

"...The bad - my Father in law has been given less than 6 weeks, so it will be the last Christmas my kids experience with a G-father (both of my parents are gone).

The good - we will visit and the kids will share time and hopefully memories to last a life time, refreshed for ever by photos we will take. "

There are many here who have their burdens to bear this Holiday Season; my family is by no means alone in the head winds life has presented. May we take a moment to reflect that what really counts - our health, our family and our friends - and the opportunity to share the gift that is this holiday season, is what really counts.

May you and your family enjoy to the fullest the opportunity this break in our hectic life presents.

Rick,

You and I have been thrown a curve ball this holiday season and have very similar support roles to play... Father in law is battling very hard right now, been administered to the emergency yesterday morning and has not much time left...

My wife, wife's brother and sister have taken shifts to stay at his bed side. The hardest part is seeing the suffering this terrible decease is causing to this great man (picture a 5'10" 150Lbs human being reduce to under 100Lbs)... terribly hard to understand how and doesn't make sense.

Christmas for us this year will not be the same as years past, where joy and fun took precedence, if anything, will bring our family closer then ever before.

I wish you and your family courage in these hard times ahead... spend as much time as you can with him and cherish every moments... keep the happy ones close to your heart.

Best wishes for the holiday season

Jacques

Rick, Thanks for this thread my friend.Sorry to hear about your father in law.I can relate to all of it, and to you also Jacques, i feel the sadness.

This christmas, i found myself parent-less for the first time in my life. Also my wife left me in the begining of November. But I celibrated Christmas just the same, with a smaller entourage of familly members, and with a new Lady Friend.

This year i truly found the spirit of Christmas, and it was in my heart all along.No fancy gifts, just close familly, and good friends and neighbors. Who could ask for a better Christmas than that?:D

Over the years, Christmas has always included periods of depression from mourning lost loved ones in our family. My wife's parents both died around Christmas. It has taken us a long time to adjust. I've learnt many years back that the greatest and most precious gifts are the love shared by our families.