December chrome

ChrisK

Its been an excellent December so far for steelheading. The past weekend was more than anyone could ask for on my Huron trib. Started off Saturday as a crystal clear water day and good deep water in the river on top of everything !! The fish were more than happy to please from daybreak to sundown. Sorry for the grainy pictures but my camera was acting up in the wet weather. Time for a new one.

Steel1009.jpg

Steel1007.jpg

Sunday temps melted off all the snow from the banks and with a little rain in the morning the water started coming up and went stained by mid day. I had guests this day with one fella which had never float fished or caught a steelhead in his life. His life was about to change....The boys showed up good and early and I set them up with all the right stuff and sent them down to the river. By the time I geared up and made my way down,Terry the fella who never done this before had already landed his first fish. You could imagine how happy that made me let alone how exited he was.

Steel1005.jpg

The other fella Brendan was a more experienced fisherman and soon had his own fish beached on the bank.

Steel1013.jpg

As the day passed the fish kept on hitting aggressively and all of us did quite well landing multiples of fish. It was an awesome day for sure especially for Terry. Not often does a new steelheader get this much action on his first day on the river. Just goes to show that this stuff is really basic and with a little help from an experienced angler you to can be a pro. :santa:

Here's a big fella that I caught during our Sundays outing.

Steel1021.jpg

And his release.

Steel1022.jpg

Until we meet again...

Steel1023.jpg

So that was my weekend and hopefully this weather will hold out and we can do all again real soon.

Steel1003.jpg

Cheers !!

Ya, got to love it. One of the better ones in a few years. I didn't think it was going to happen this year cause the river was a swamp right through September. Salmon hardly made it up water was so low. But then the rains came and washed her out good and then things started to happen.

I am new to fishing, and i have been having a real hard time landing any chrome this month. Any advice as to where or how to find them?? also I am also using spinners since i do not have a long enough rod for drifting right now..

Slow deep pools, make sure you are reeling in just fast enough for the blades to spin.

I am new to fishing, and i have been having a real hard time landing any chrome this month. Any advice as to where or how to find them?? also I am also using spinners since i do not have a long enough rod for drifting right now..

Nate,

I would have to agree with Bill with the spinner but if you really want to catch a trout this time of year you can use your pole more effectively by just getting a couple floats,some split shot,a few micro swivels,#9 daitchi or mustad hooks and some 6lb. fluorocarbon tippet material. Set up a float rig with a nice long tippet and put on a nickel sized roe bag or a big fat night crawler and go float fishing. Sure its nice to have a long pole but if you set your drag right you can fight and land steelhead on your spinning pole. My friend Terry had a 10ft. spinning pole with 10lb mainline and he did just fine on the weekend.

Good Luck !!

Well Brian I have sellers remorse.......sold 2 great high end reels last year and a nice rod...wasn't using them but have the itch again. Maybe I'll just have to talk to Spiel and then replace the centre pins...... although I'm likin' that spiral wrap and a baitcaster!